Dream Hybrids MegaThread

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you know where the mutated gene/defective enyme is?

Hi and thanks for the reply. Its is perhaps useful to explore this further. Genetically, hybridizing is very much like buying a lottery ticket. If that was an alba phil which was used then this will prove a very interesting experiment as my alba phil and breeder roth is on its way :)

I've been doing some more looking and its seems that stonei is more useful for good form than roth. Any opinions on that? I'm feeling pretty silly that I never got a stonei when I had the chance. But I did get a niveum.

From the old watercolors of insigne-types x cochlo crosses, the progeny look to be very colourful and have good form---just look at Festive Hunter which was posted on the forum a few weeks back. Why isn't this line of breeding pursued more? A problem with too many genetic variables in the later generations?

...Anyone done any line breeding of Woluwense .....
I doubt it, who's lucky enough to have a blooming Woluwense?

...My dream hybrid is Phrag. kovachii x Paph. hangianum.....probably will be a dream forever!
I will be very curious to see Paph. sanderianum X Paph. sangii.

I have already in flask Paph. hangianum x Paph. tigrinum....

PK x hang = farout!!!
I have a roth x sangii & it spiked a couple years ago but blasted!
Hang x tigrinum could be interesting.

A few ideas for phrags:

Phrag manzurii x besseae flavum
With the longifolium album, crosses onto boissierianum, besseae flavum (Tom Kalina has already done this one) and the eventual flavum Don Wimber.

Backcrosses of kovachii, including Fritz Schomburg x besseae, Haley Decker x besseae, both of these will intensify the color and flatten out the tendency of kovachii to waffle.

kovachii album (if it exists) x schlimii

remakes of early besseae crosses using "improved" line bred besseaes.

A few ideas for phrags:

Phrag manzurii x besseae flavum
With the longifolium album, crosses onto boissierianum, besseae flavum (Tom Kalina has already done this one) and the eventual flavum Don Wimber.

Backcrosses of kovachii, including Fritz Schomburg x besseae, Haley Decker x besseae, both of these will intensify the color and flatten out the tendency of kovachii to waffle.

kovachii album (if it exists) x schlimii

remakes of early besseae crosses using "improved" line bred besseaes.

:drool:

A few ideas for phrags:

just a polite note that it's nice to see something once in a while that isn't flat, flat flat! (I wouldn't make a very good aos judge, i'd be trying to award everything that caused other judges to get a case of the hives, probably) ;)

just a polite note that it's nice to see something once in a while that isn't flat, flat flat! (I wouldn't make a very good aos judge, i'd be trying to award everything that caused other judges to get a case of the hives, probably) ;)

Agreed! I like some good, quirky character :)

While I disagree a bit, the lack of flatness can also be accentuated by other parents that aren't flat like the cross of kovachii x czerwiakowianum to create an interesting flower with some character. With the lack of dominance in color by kovachii, a besseae backcross will not only flatten the flower but add a depth of color not evident in the early crosses.

Judges aren't apt to award flowers with poor shape, weak substance, muddy color, etc. and frankly although many say otherwise the public usually purchases plants that carry good color and shape versus mediocrity. Hybridizers also reflect what judges look for, but flowers that aren't awardable are certainly desirable in many cases. I have more than a few myself.

In my dream world I would like to see paph. sanderianum & cyp. flavum. (album would be better) Having a long petaled cyp. would be really interesting!! IMHO

Maybe I just like this plant to much but I'd like to see some brachy x cochlo hybrids, something like I posted this morning,

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15362

crossed with armeniacum to make a nice easier growing roundish yellow, crossed with a roth or roth heavy hybrid to make something similar to brachy x coryo crosses but easier to grow, bloom, and more floriferous, or with fairrieanum for something similar to paph. Angela that may be multifloral.

Forrest

Forrest,

I'm on board with the ((brachy x cochlo) x fairrieanum) idea! Good thinking.

-Ernie

Maybe I just like this plant to much but I'd like to see some brachy x cochlo hybrids, something like I posted this morning,

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15362

crossed with armeniacum to make a nice easier growing roundish yellow, crossed with a roth or roth heavy hybrid to make something similar to brachy x coryo crosses but easier to grow, bloom, and more floriferous, or with fairrieanum for something similar to paph. Angela that may be multifloral.

Forrest

Big red complexes (bulldogs) backcrossed onto charlesworthii are floating around now...

Soooooo, anyone seen the album version of that... a yellow/green complex onto charlesworthii fma. sandowiae (album)???? I'd love to have a monstrous hybrid that could stunt double for a chuckworth sandow!!! Blaring white staminode and chubby dorsal sepal are a must!

-Ernie

Big red complexes (bulldogs) backcrossed onto charlesworthii are floating around now...

Soooooo, anyone seen the album version of that... a yellow/green complex onto charlesworthii fma. sandowiae (album)???? I'd love to have a monstrous hybrid that could stunt double for a chuckworth sandow!!! Blaring white staminode and chubby dorsal sepal are a must!

-Ernie

It has been done. We will see what they look like.

-Ernie

Great idea, Ernie! It might not be as easy as it appears, however.

Please excuse my clumsy explanation. Due to the recessive nature of the color suppression genes in the charlesworthii fma. sandowiae, and the fact the necessary genes may not be at the same address on the DNA strand of both parents, the resultant F1 generation might not benefit from the album genes of the fma. sandowiae, and in fact could turn out looking as if the cross was made with a normal charlesworthii. To achieve the desired look, the F1's would most likely need to be sib crossed or backcrossed onto the charlesworthii fma. sandowiae. Perhaps then, some of the F2 generation would achieve the desired look.

Latest posts

Back