Dream Hybrids MegaThread

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

Ernie

Was thinking today of some crosses I'd love to see made. Then thought it would be fun to see what you all have yearned for... not shopping lists of things you've seen blooming, but hypothetical pairings you think might turn out pleasing.

Post your parentage, and, if you want, your reasoning behind the cross.

Of course he quality of the parents will determine the quality of the progeny, but imagine you're using decent to excellent parents.

-Ernie

I'll start...

I have a place in my heart and on our benches for a couple general things: armeniacum hybrids, micranthum hybrids, Cochlopetalum influence for easy growing and blooming and more flowers, henryanum/tigrinum for dorsal spots. I'm sure I'll come up with more later, but to start...

I have been looking for Paph. Golden Diamond (armeniacum X fairrieanum), but figured they aren't around because maybe they are hard to grow or germination is poor? So, maybe something like (Golddollar X fairrieanum) or (Pedro's Moon X fairrieanum)?

I'd also like to see a nice, large, pink (delenatii X cochlopetalum) hybrid, like Annabellchen or similar, onto henryanum. I predict oligofloral whites with pink overlay and a spotted dorsal on compact plants??? Wouldn't that be nifty?

-Ernie

Julius x sanderianum. I have seen one (an AM awarded one from Japan). One of the most amazing multis I have seen. Made Screaming Eagle look boring. I've never seen another. I here Julius isn't very fertile so I assume that is why we haven't seen many.

David

Could anybody please get those Mexipedium crosses to work?

Mex with bessae or its hybrids, maybe even kovachii/hybrids for compact colourful cuties.

On the Paph side I expect the first albinistic mutliflorals to turn up soon. I'd like to cross an albinistic Bel Royal with some of the modern, Brachy-heavy whites. Looking for plain white flowers, three on a stem, of decent shape and size. Think of a much improved version of Wild Thing album and you know what I mean.

...I'd like to cross an albinistic Bel Royal with some of the modern, Brachy-heavy whites. Looking for plain white flowers...

Don't Brachy x multis normally produce over all pinkish flowers? Still, it would be nice to see more of these. An albinistic St Swithin would be something to look at.

Anyone done any line breeding of Woluwense or Wossner Koloniv towards getting more of the white together with more of the multifloral genes?

Don't Brachy x multis normally produce over all pinkish flowers? Still, it would be nice to see more of these. An albinistic St Swithin would be something to look at.

Anyone done any line breeding of Woluwense or Wossner Koloniv towards getting more of the white together with more of the multifloral genes?

They do indeed, as the white comes usually from the niveum parent in the albinos, if they are heavy on the brachy side. Otherwise, the white comes as well from insigne var. sanderAE, but insigne sanderae x philippinense album produced normal offspring. One very beautiful cross I have not seen for years is spicerianum x philippinense. Some are really gorgeous...

Hi Bob,

Paph. (micranthum x bellatulum) is named Paph. Kevin Porter. The good ones are few and far between, and most clones show some signs if color-break or flares in the pouch and/or petals. Most also show signs of streaking of the leaves long before they reach blooming size. One way to minimize (but not eliminate) such defects is to use the brachy as the capsule parent. All that having been said, however, the good ones are beautiful.

Thanks, Tom

Hi Bob,

Paph. (micranthum x bellatulum) is named Paph. Kevin Porter. The good ones are few and far between, and most clones show some signs if color-break or flares in the pouch and/or petals. Most also show signs of streaking of the leaves long before they reach blooming size. One way to minimize (but not eliminate) such defects is to use the brachy as the capsule parent. All that having been said, however, the good ones are beautiful.

Thanks, Tom

Yeah, good KPs are excellent, the rest (majority) are compost IMO. Take it to the next level, Bob... what would you want to see to give you the Kevin Porter feel that might be more consistent or better? Use a red-saturated brachy hybrid onto micranthum or Fanaticum (per earlier Dick Wagner discussion) or Magic Lantern maybe? Magic Lantern must be a crappy parent for viability (?)- I'd personally try to use it to remake every micranthum hybrid (instead of micranthum of course).

I'm glad you guys are getting into the spirit of this thread. Maybe we can inspire some of the breeders to make some of our dreams come true? :)

-Ernie

If I am not mistaken an albanistic St Swithin is in seedling from Norito. We will see if 1/4 come out albums.

Jason Fischer x Kovachii

Elizabeth Castle x Jason Fischer

Good luck

paphs and mainly the complexes I will keep to myself :)

Back