'Dragon's Blood'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been reading some members are using croton lechleri or 'Dragon's Blood' for fungus rot. Does it really work and if so how often does it need to be applied? Tried to purchase from Amazon but it is no longer available so where can I purchase it? Does it come in different strength and if so what is recommended? I plan to try it on both Paph's and Phrag's.
Thanks for any information you can provide.

I have used it on a few of the issues on my plants in the last few years. Short answer : Yes!
I generally do not have lots of disease issues on my paphs, but unpleasant things do find their way here and there.
The most common issues I have had is the brown rot on the leaves on Maudiae type hybrids. When left alone, this disease quickly eat away the tissues destroying the leaf. When I applied thin layer of Dragon's Blood, they stopped spready further.
Other members shared story of saving a plant from crown rot, but I believe that the sooner you catch the disease, the more likely that you will have success in the case of crown rot.
You use a raw sap 100%. In my experience, one application was enough to stop minor leaf rot and spotting issues.

I might add that the stuff on Amazon is not the real thing. Eric New York
City has the good stuff for $26.00 including shipping. It works quickly and
without using a great deal. It's also great for drying up poison ivy rash and
stings from insects. I keep two or three bottles on hand at all times...one
in the house for rashes and stings and two in the greenhouse for any number
of uses.

How would I be able to get in contact with Eric New York City? Does he still sell this product? I'm new to this and can you tell me how to use it on brown leaf rot? I had purchased a bottle from Amazon but it seems to turn the leaf brown. I don't know it is suppose to do that or not. I would really appreciate any advice or help with this. Thank you.

I might add that the stuff on Amazon is not the real thing.

You can find the real thing on Amazon/Ebay. You just have to be a bit careful when buying. Don't buy any product labeled as "Dragon's Blood" without a picture of the ingredient list from the bottle. What you want to look for is 100% Croton lechleri sap. I have some stuff from Amazon that works quite well. Saved a growth on my Phrag. andreettae that was starting to brown a bit (I was quite impressed). Haven't had a chance to try it on anything else; thankfully :). It is commonly sold as a natural product for cuts and scrapes.

Is what you got from Amazon pure? The color of the product is a dark red-brown like dried blood and yes it works.

The stuff I got was darkish reddish brown. Fairly liquid (and a bit frothy). After a minute or so, it starts to thicken up as it dries. I think the brand was "Raw Food Company" or something like that (listed as a product of Peru).

Last edited:
Yes, it comes from Peru and should dry quickly, forming like a lacquer shell. It is not a miracle product, but it has save a couple of plants I thought were goners and If I see any rot I quickly apply it.

Eric, do you have any for sale? I sent you a PM awhile ago (now called a conversation in the new system - envelope at the top right of the screen).

You can find the real thing on Amazon/Ebay. You just have to be a bit careful when buying. Don't buy any product labeled as "Dragon's Blood" without a picture of the ingredient list from the bottle. What you want to look for is 100% Croton lechleri sap. I have some stuff from Amazon that works quite well. Saved a growth on my Phrag. andreettae that was starting to brown a bit (I was quite impressed). Haven't had a chance to try it on anything else; thankfully :). It is commonly sold as a natural product for cuts and scrapes.

The stuff I got was darkish reddish brown. Fairly liquid (and a bit frothy). After a minute or so, it starts to thicken up as it dries. I think the brand was "Raw Food Company" or something like that (listed as a product of Peru).

Hi xiphius,
I don't know what the ingredients are. I'm not a home at the moment to check. When I purchased it from Amazon here is what it said "
Dragon's Blood Sangre de Grado, 2 Ounces, 100% Raw Pure Croton Lechleri, No Alcohol, Sangre de Drago".
Now would this be the real deal? It is a darkish red brown color. The only thing is I am not sure how to apply it on the plant and how much to apply. It is suppose to turn the whole leaf brownish orange color?

Hi NYEric,
Are you still selling the Dragon's Blood and if so can you tell me how much you are charging please? I appreciate any advice/suggestion as to how to use it. Can you use it on any orchid or plant?

Thank you both,
Baileyboo936

Hi xiphius,
I don't know what the ingredients are. I'm not a home at the moment to check. When I purchased it from Amazon here is what it said
"Dragon's Blood Sangre de Grado, 2 Ounces, 100% Raw Pure Croton Lechleri, No Alcohol, Sangre de Drago".
Now would this be the real deal? It is a darkish red brown color. The only thing is I am not sure how to apply it on the plant and how much to apply. It is suppose to turn the whole leaf brownish orange color?

Probably. Assuming the highlighted/underlined part is accurate according to the actual ingredient list. In my case, I was using it on a new leaf on a new growth that was starting to rot a bit. So I just dripped a couple drops into the new crown and wiggled the leaves to make sure it got down in between the leaves. I wouldn't necessarily cover the whole leaf. If there is a spot, I would just apply it to the spot (with a generous margin around the spot) on both sides. Like Eric mentioned, it is not a miracle cure, but it does seem to help dry out (and stop the spread of) rot spots.

If you cover the entire leaf, it might make it hard for the plant to respire.

Last edited:
Someone else from the forum said they are selling it on eBay and I don't want to interfere with their business. rub or drip some on the affected areas and try not to wash it away. eventually the rot will stop and new growth will occur. Do not mix with alcohol, somehow that stops the Dragon's blood from working. ??? You can use it on any plant or animal tissue!

Eric, I want to buy some from you and pick it up in Montreal. Are you going this year?

Do not mix with alcohol, somehow that stops the Dragon's blood from working. ??? You can use it on any plant or animal tissue!

Hey Eric, how do you store yours - fridge or room temp? Just curious. I have been keeping mine the fridge, but I am not sure that is necessary. Also, have you noticed a "shelf life"?

I stored mine at room temp for several years. All the red stuff eventually precipitated out and settled to the bottom. I bought some fresh stuff on Amazon but it hasn't arrived yet.

The red precipitate is soluble in alcohol, but the consensus seems to be not to use alcohol.

I stored mine at room temp for several years. All the red stuff eventually precipitated out and settled to the bottom. I bought some fresh stuff on Amazon but it hasn't arrived yet.

The red precipitate is soluble in alcohol, but the consensus seems to be not to use alcohol.

Do not ever mix DB with alcohol. Just stir or shake to mix in the sediment back into suspensiom. Even without the sediment the clear liquid works as does the sediment as a paste. Store at room temperature. As yet I have not encountered a shelf life that prevents the intended use on plants, in fact aging is important.

The product I ordered from Amazon has finally arrived. It looks like the real deal. It doesn't smell quite as strongly as the stuff I got from Eric. Perhaps it's a bit more dilute. It was around $20 for 2 ounces from Blue Organix..

Dragon's Blood Sangre de Grado, 2 Ounces, 100% Raw Pure Croton Lechleri, No Alcohol, Sangre de Drago

Back