Dragon's Blood / Sangre de Grado

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLorax

Awardless studette
Reaction score
This was recommended to me to use for another reason but its anti-fungal properties for plants were mentioned.

I found the product online for sale here-
http://thehealingforest.com/Dragon'sBlood.html

Evidently it is some type of an antioxidant but what does this have to do with being able to wipe out a fungal infection in a plant. Just curious.

I found a little bit more information here-
http://www.amazon-nutrition.com/dragons-blood.html

Who uses this and what have your results been please?

Ahhh, the mysteries of Dragon's Blood. We in the scientific community have no clue what the hell it really and know even less about how it does what it does. What we do know is this: Its the blood of Dragons and dragons are pretty cool. Therefore, we can only assume that it retains a portion of the dragon's coolness and transfers it to the beholder.

Just sort of wondering if it was another Super Thrive type product. By the looks of the seedling posted by Gonewild, my thoughts are that this might be able to be tried for a fungal/bacterial infection.

I'd still be interested in any other research out there.

I don't know if there is any true "research," per say, but the experiences of people here suggest that the stuff actually works well to stop fungal infections.

That's pretty much what I'm thinking. I doubt seriously if a seedling in that condition would have rebounded as it did if the product didn't have some anti-fungal/anti-bacterial properties. Seedlings are touchy, realy touchy and that infection looked as if it was going to go systemic if it hadn't already.

Ahhh, the mysteries of Dragon's Blood. We in the scientific community have no clue what the hell it really and know even less about how it does what it does. What we do know is this: Its the blood of Dragons and dragons are pretty cool. Therefore, we can only assume that it retains a portion of the dragon's coolness and transfers it to the beholder.

And dragon's are magical....

I was mentioning this to my neighbor who is Guatemalan and she said it's known to her as Sangre de Perro or rather Blood of the Dog. She read the web page on all that this product allegedly does and basically raised an eyebrow and smiled but told me she would pick some up for me.

I'd still like to see any valid research that may exist out there on the product.

I was mentioning this to my neighbor who is Guatemalan and she said it's known to her as Sangre de Perro or rather Blood of the Dog. She read the web page on all that this product allegedly does and basically raised an eyebrow and smiled but told me she would pick some up for me.

I'd still like to see any valid research that may exist out there on the product.

What do you consider valid research?

Be aware that "Sangre de Perro" from Guatemala is likely a completely different substance. The "Dragon's Blood" being used to treat infections on plants is from ONLY one species... Croton lechleri, not four as mentioned in some literature.
I can't find any reference that the plant, Croton lechleri grows outside of the Amazon Basin so there is no reason to believe it is the same as your friends "Sangre de Perro" from Central America.

I would interpret valid research in much the same manner as the scientific community at large does.

My neighbor isn't going back to Guatemala any time soon. She's an American now and has no relatives over there any longer. She's going to the corner health food store to pick some up for me. She said they carried it under the other name and she was going to pick up some other things for herself anyway and I wanted her to also pick up some shark cartilage for me while she was there.

How do you know he's the only importer of it? Or does he have an exclusion agreement with the country of Peru...:rollhappy:

If Lance [gonewild] says it's not the same product, it's not the same product. He is the importer.

Thank you Eric.
Let me clarify.....
I said it may not be the same product. Croton lechleri is not listed as a species found in Guatemala. A herb named "Dogs Blood" by local people would not indicate the locals value it's "healing" properties highly, so I doubt the two are the same. It may be similar in appearance but it may have completely different chemical properties.

Please make sure you know what you are using when treating your plants with herbal products. Do not assume Sangre de Grado and Sangre de Perro are the same thing.

The Dragon's Blood I have used and tested (and sold) is definitely collected from the Croton lechleri tree. I obtain it directly from the people that harvest it from the forest trees in the Madre de Dios region of Peru.

I have also tested Dragon's Blood used in combination with another "anti-microbial" herb from the region and found it to have a few additional benefits for treating plants.

How do you know he's the only importer of it? Or does he have an exclusion agreement with the country of Peru...:rollhappy:

I'm not the only importer. There are now many companies beginning to promote the product for human use. Just be aware that most others are using extraction processes and reconstituted plant materials to "manufacture" the natural product they sell. Their product may very well be effective for treating plant infections or it may loose something in the manufacturing process, who knows? I just prefer to buy a natural product from the little old man that lives in the forest and "bleeds" the trees rather than the pharmaceutical company that grinds up the whole tree and boils it down.

I would interpret valid research in much the same manner as the scientific community at large does.

Then the answer is no. There is no valid research for you to read.

As far as I know I'm the first to suggest the use of Dragon's Blood to treat plant infections.
And since the scientific community (Blake :poke: ) does not recognize that I know what I'm talking about my research is not "valid".

You will not see an FDA approved test for Dragon's Blood published because the pharmaceutical companies have failed to find a way to patent a drug from the resin. They have proven the resin has health benefits but not been able to improve on the un-patentable natural substance, thus there is no profit motive to "validate" Dragon's Blood as a medicine for humans or plants.

My neighbor isn't going back to Guatemala any time soon. She's an American now and has no relatives over there any longer. She's going to the corner health food store to pick some up for me. She said they carried it under the other name and she was going to pick up some other things for herself anyway and I wanted her to also pick up some shark cartilage for me while she was there.

I am interested to see what she brings you that is "Sangre de Perro".

It's hard to do "valid" research with orchids because no one wants to trash a hundred plants in the name of science. But if someone wanted to donate the plants and space I'd be happy to develop the protocol and crunch the numbers.

Otherwise we're just stuck with the anecdotal reports of isolated cures. Ultimately those could be compiled into decent data if we keep accurate tallies of failures as well as successes.

So far GoneWilds dragon blood has been the best thing I've come across for Erwinia infections.

You will not see an FDA approved test for Dragon's Blood published because the pharmaceutical companies have failed to find a way to patent a drug from the resin. They have proven the resin has health benefits but not been able to improve on the un-patentable natural substance, thus there is no profit motive to "validate" Dragon's Blood as a medicine for humans or plants.
QUOTE]

Even more than what you said above.
I always has a suspicion that Pharmaceutical companies will do anything in their power to discredit natural remedies (they make such a big deal of how an herb kills one or two person here and there, they probably even pay the reporters to put these news up prominently, yet never admit that their drugs kill thousand more)

Last edited:
She's going to the corner health food store to pick some up for me. She said they carried it under the other name...
The other name would presumably be... Dragon's Blood. We'll see. Might even be worth me taking a trip with her to see what else they have at the corner health food store.

the pharmaceutical companies have failed to find a way to patent a drug from the resin. They have proven the resin has health benefits but not been able to improve on the un-patentable natural substance, thus there is no profit motive to "validate"...
(Sigh) Sad but unfortunately very true based on my limited experience with corn gluten being used as a natural pre-emergence herbicide. One thing though, I can go and buy a bag of corn gluten meal that has been specially "formulated", or rather processed into a pellet form for about $65 a bag to toss around the base of my plantings or I can go to an animal feed store and buy a bag of corn gluten meal for all of $12 a bag. They work the same. Choice of which to purchase is mine. Also too, I believe the pharmaceutical industry would trash a thousand plants in the name of science if they thought there was a buck to be made.

I always has a suspicion that Pharmaceutical companies will do anything in their power to discredit natural remedies (they make such a big deal of how an herb kill one or two person here and there, they probably even pay the reporters to put these news up prominently, yet never admit that their drugs kill thousand more
(Bigger Sigh) The pharmaceutical and the chemical industries are both extremely powerful. I suspect there may be some validity to your comments.

Great that it works on Erwinia infections although not all infections are attributable to the genera Erwinia. I’d still like to see anything that’s out there in print on this miracle product and potatoes are certainly cheap enough to experiment with and they succumb to Bacterial blackleg which is an Erwinia infection. Although gonewild’s photographs of his seedling are spectacular, photos of plants treated with Dragon’s Blood owned by others would be really nice. I really like how he illustrated the recovery of the plant over time. I’ve seen enough that I’d try Dragon's Blood based on those photos alone. I wouldn’t try it on a plant I just paid $100 for but I’d try it on one that was in the $25 or $35 range.

And gonewild, somebody has to be the first. You could very well be onto something here. I don't think it's snake oil like SuperThrive but what do I know.

Sorry, editing to correct name to user name.

Back