Dragon's Blood Question

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sacramento, CA. Outside w/ Southeast Exposure
So, Lance.

Why does my Michael Koopowitz attract more flies than any of my other plants outside? Every single time I go outside during daylight hours, there are two to three flies on that plant.

I can only think it has something to do with the Dragon's Blood you applied, as none of my other plants have been treated with it.

Have you noticed this before?

Remember Smaug

in The Hobbit ; "Dragons know their hoard to an ounce". This is Revenge of the Dragon. No need to look further.
Yours
Frederick

So, Lance.

Why does my Michael Koopowitz attract more flies than any of my other plants outside? Every single time I go outside during daylight hours, there are two to three flies on that plant.

I can only think it has something to do with the Dragon's Blood you applied, as none of my other plants have been treated with it.

Have you noticed this before?

Heather,
I doubt the Dragon's Blood is attracting the flies. The application was so long ago there would not be any residue left now. I have never noticed Dragon's Blood attracting any insects. I have used it on my own skin and not been bothered by flies.

More likely the plant is producing a pheromone or other odor that is attracting the flies? What part of the plant are the flies attracted to?

You say the MK attracts "more flies" are there flies on other plants also?

Have you tried putting a few drops of Dragon's Blood on another plant to see if the flies go to it also?

Heather,
I doubt the Dragon's Blood is attracting the flies. The application was so long ago there would not be any residue left now. I have never noticed Dragon's Blood attracting any insects. I have used it on my own skin and not been bothered by flies.

More likely the plant is producing a pheromone or other odor that is attracting the flies? What part of the plant are the flies attracted to?

You say the MK attracts "more flies" are there flies on other plants also?

Have you tried putting a few drops of Dragon's Blood on another plant to see if the flies go to it also?

Yes, I have noticed a fly or two on other plants but they are always on that one. Very strange, and why I noticed it.

I don't have any Dragon's Blood yet so I have not yet experimented. :wink:

Well, looky who's returned! ;)

The leaves, always the leaves of the largest growth (the one you bloomed).

Yes I'm back! Finally woke up after a whirlwind trip to Peru. Jet lag really hit me this time.

I only applied the DB to the new growth of MK so if the flies were after the DB they would be on the new growth not the old. They must just be lining up to pollinate it the next time it blooms! Or maybe there is some lingering scent from the old flowers? Or maybe MK wants a small flytrap as a pet?

Pictures comming soon. Had a very short but nice visit with Alfreado Manrique and saw his newly collected plants, both kovachii and besseae.

Lance,
Does that means that he finally gets permit to collect more to expand the diversity in his kovachii breeding stock?

Back