Dr. Braem is back

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Braem

Dear Folks,

after long deliberation I have decided to return to the forum as I heard that there are some that would welcome my return. As of immediately, I will be happy to answer serious questions on orchid taxonomy.

Delighted to see you're back on the forum. I wasn't there when you left so welcome.

My question is that I try to differentiate between the renanthera species that peoples sold & called:
-renanthera vietnamensis
&
-renanthera vietnamica
Are they the same (with different names) ? are they two different renanthera?

Hien,

they are most probably the same. Unfortunately, quite a few orchids (and other plants) are offered under "different" names ... but if you see species names that differ only "grammatically" (for example 'wilsonii' and 'wilsonianum' or 'wilsoniae"), you can assume that the plants are identical. Admittedly, this is not always the case, but then it is a fully different taxonomic issue.

Good to see you back, though I was not on the forum to see you here before.

Agreed, there are many grammatical errors out there, but other such as Dend williamsianum and williamsonii with will keep confusing the newbies like me to start:confused:.

Brett

Thanks Tom. No, the Schlechter Institute is no longer active. I "closed it" before I went into the hospital last September. And as I don't know how much time I got left, it will stay that way.

For those who may not be aware, Dr. Braem and I spent a wonderful week together at the Schlechter Institute some years ago, hoping to collaberate on a new book on the Genus Paphiopedilum. Unfortunately, I was not able to carry on. and he eventually published the book with Guy Chiron. I was, and am still amazed, at his knowledge of the taxonomy of Genus Paphiopedilum. I'm sorry to hear you are not feeling well, Guido, and hope things may improve over time.

The tumor is out ... but as it was a malignant one (the taxonomy of tumors is pretty easy) the question is whether there are metastasis.

Welcome back Dr. Braem!!! Your knowledge is always a welcome addition to our sometimes "spirited" discussions. Glad you are back!!!

:clap::clap: WELCOME back! Your name & reputation preceeds you as I don't think I was a member here then. May you have many more years of good health & may we have many years to share your wealth of knowledge!

Good to see you back Dr Braem.

Just one question. I have the two volumes of your book "The Genus Paphiopedilum ..." with Charles and Margaret Baker. Wonderful books which I look up regularly. Was the third volume ever written? Sorry if you have been asked this question numerous times before but I'm not aware of the reasons.

David

Latest posts

Back