Don't know what to think about Concolor

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Cinderella

My Paph Concolor, which I have owned since late 2004, last bloomed in early 2006. I repotted it in fine bark, in an aircone pot, after it bloomed. I'm not sure if it resented, but it grows more slowly than any other orchid I can think of. It finally put up 2 buds this Summer (it blooms as frequently as they choose a new Pope) and things looked good.

Then we went out of town for 6 days. When I came back and watered, both buds blasted within a couple of days/week. I mentioned this to Jason, who was taking my order, and he said it was probably the dry/wet thing.

Never go on vacation! Just stay in your house.

Should I try repotting it in something else? Any other ideas?

i agree with Eric, it'll get used to its new home, just may take some time. Generally, concolor is a good grower

Based on my experience concolor and some other brachys really resent being repotted often. In Asia I have seen huge specimen plants with 20+ growths and I've always been told by experienced growers there that you should avoid repotting concolor as much as you can

It's hard to decided, do I repot or don't I because bark mixes are going to break down & the need to repot is going to happen. Does anybody do S/H or another media that doesn't break down with concolor? Did you overpot it?
ANY orchid can BLAST buds at ANYTIME, even if you don't go on vacation!

I believe Candace might grow it or other bracs in s/h. Maybe she will weigh in. I guess I will let it sit. I have to check the roots, as it hates being disturbed. I don't think I overpotted but who knows unless I check the roots? I thought repotting every 2 years was a must.

It's hard to decided, do I repot or don't I because bark mixes are going to break down & the need to repot is going to happen. Does anybody do S/H or another media that doesn't break down with concolor?

Me, me! Sorry guys, I've been on a mini vacation. Pictures will follow. I've had my concolor growing in s/h for probably 6 mos. and it's already bloomed and grown quite a bit for me. When I got it, it was in a bark mix and I put it into s/h and it didn't sulk or skip a beat.

I'm going to try it Candace. It certainly has not performed in bark so it will be an experiment. I guess this would be a good time to repot it after the failed bloom?

Repotting it into s/h before it starts turning to Fall would be a good idea. It's possible you just got a bad plant-slow growing and or a bad bloomer. It does happen.

Just remember when using S/H that ALL of the roots must be in the top 1/4 of the container, other wise you'll end up with rot. After the plant gets established you'll see the roots growing down into the bottom of the pot searching for the water.

Bob, I don't pot that way. It would be impossible for me to keep roots limited to the top 1/4 of the pot.

concolor is by far the easiest of brachy's to grow. However, like all brachy's (in my experience...an important qualifier), it seems to resent repotting, even though its roots need aerated clean media. I avoid repotting it until absolutely necessary, then make sure it has extra portions of whatever you use for aeration- spongerock (seemingly unavailable these days in my preferred #4 size), lava rock, dynarok, hygroton, whatever...I use all of them in the same mix. Take care, Eric

Latest posts

Back