does anyone recognize any of these

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renegayde

Reaction score
ok I was weak
I could not control my bid now finger and I bought a collection of 23 paphs on e-bay that were/are in need of lots of TLC......goods news is 11 if them had tags the other 12 not so lucky dunno how I will ever figure out what they are but I am sure it will be a long time before any of these bloom since they were not in good shape and in serious need of repotting after spending a couple of hours removing the dead roots and leaves and trying to get rid of the armidillo bugs or roly poly bugs or sow bugs what ever you want to call them....currently they sit in quarantine LOL do not want to contaminate any of my other orchids plus until these guys look better I need to keep them seperate so they do not get a complex from my other good looking plants:rollhappy: so of the 11 named ones I have found a few online and figured out a few of the others I think :crazy: but do any of you recognize any of these?

Philippinense x Rothschildeanum < is this St Swithin?>
Tonsum x Barbigerum
Druid Spring
z3893 Vanguard Free < not sure if the free is the name or if the tag just says free cause they got it free>
Philippinense
Philippinense toogoodoo x Liemiana Halls
Utguard x Druryii
Solon Senator <roth x tonsum>
Dellaina <chamberlianianum x Delenatii> found a pic of this one online finally
Keelingii <parishii xchamberlianianum> found a pic of this one too
Liemiana Helen x Lowii toogoodoo

ok no one make fun of me if I mispelled any of these LOL you try staring at faded tags to make out what those blurred letters are.....I thought the Dellaina was Dallaina till I found it online

thanks for any Help guys

Attachments

• paph collection1.JPG
    paph collection1.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 59
Renegayde said:
Philippinense x Rothschildeanum < is this St Swithin?>
Tonsum x Barbigerum
Druid Spring
z3893 Vanguard Free < not sure if the free is the name or if the tag just says free cause they got it free>
Philippinense
Philippinense toogoodoo x Liemiana Halls
Utguard x Druryii
Solon Senator <roth x tonsum>
Dellaina <chamberlianianum x Delenatii> found a pic of this one online finally
Keelingii <parishii xchamberlianianum> found a pic of this one too
Liemiana Helen x Lowii toogoodoo

ok no one make fun of me if I mispelled any of these LOL you try staring at faded tags to make out what those blurred letters are.....I thought the Dellaina was Dallaina till I found it online

thanks for any Help guys

You did pretty good there.

Philippinense x Rothschildeanum < is this St Swithin?> yes
Tonsum x Barbigerum not sure what this cross is but sounds nice!
Druid Spring complex white, I think.
z3893 Vanguard Free < not sure if the free is the name or if the tag just says free cause they got it free> probably Vanguard. 'Free' could be the clonal name but sounds like you might be thinking correctly cause it was indeed free.
Philippinense a species - parent of the St. Swithin
Philippinense toogoodoo x Liemiana Halls I would bet that it is philippinense 'Toogoodoo' x Liemianum 'Halls'?
Utguard x Druryii not sure the name of this cross either but sounds like the viable parents.
Solon Senator <roth x tonsum> WOW! I've never seen nor heard of that cross and I'm imagining neat things. Watch out for RonNY visiting you stealthily in the middle of the night. He's our roth cross fiend. :)
Dellaina <chamberlianianum x Delenatii> found a pic of this one online finally right on!
Keelingii <parishii xchamberlianianum> found a pic of this one too again, not sure but probably correct?
Liemiana Helen x Lowii toogoodoo Most likely liemianum 'Helen' x lowii 'toogoodoo'

Hope that helps a little and most importantly WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!

Heather said:
You did pretty good there.

Philippinense x Rothschildeanum < is this St Swithin?> yes
Tonsum x Barbigerum not sure what this cross is but sounds nice!
Druid Spring complex white, I think.
z3893 Vanguard Free < not sure if the free is the name or if the tag just says free cause they got it free> probably Vanguard. 'Free' could be the clonal name but sounds like you might be thinking correctly cause it was indeed free.
Philippinense a species - parent of the St. Swithin
Philippinense toogoodoo x Liemiana Halls I would bet that it is philippinense 'Toogoodoo' x Liemianum 'Halls'?
Utguard x Druryii not sure the name of this cross either but sounds like the viable parents.
Solon Senator <roth x tonsum> WOW! I've never seen nor heard of that cross and I'm imagining neat things. Watch out for RonNY visiting you stealthily in the middle of the night. He's our roth cross fiend. :)
Dellaina <chamberlianianum x Delenatii> found a pic of this one online finally right on!
Keelingii <parishii xchamberlianianum> found a pic of this one too again, not sure but probably correct?
Liemiana Helen x Lowii toogoodoo Most likely liemianum 'Helen' x lowii 'toogoodoo'

Hope that helps a little and most importantly WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!

Right on as always Heather.
One thing though....
Druid Spring is primulinum x druyii. It's a green-yellow flower with the druyii dorsal and petal stripes. I'll see if I can find a photo of mine.

Welcome!

Here's Druid Spring:
Paph-11.jpg

Jon

practicallyostensible said:
Right on as always Heather.
One thing though....
Druid Spring is primulinum x druyii. It's a green-yellow flower with the druyii dorsal and petal stripes. I'll see if I can find a photo of mine.

Welcome!

Thanks, that makes more sense doesn't it!
I think I was thinking of Druid Spring crossed w/ some white complex. D'oh.

guess I should have put all the info from the tags on there.....the toogoodoo's were in 'these'.....as well as the 'Helen' and 'Halls'....did not know if those were a named hybrid or not since I could find nothing on those crosses....the Solon Senator says Solon ' Senator ' Am/AOS and then (roth x tonsum) on the tag.....it came from Barrons Greenhouse in Knoxville TN if the other side of the tag is correct......also appears it was bought in 3/98

thanks for the warm welcome

Yes...I saw that auction when it was up for bid and clicked on to see what the group looked like. Quite the motley bunch pictured in the auction photo. I believe all were being sold for some elderly gentleman who was unable to care for his collection. Some of the name tags that I could make out in the photo looked as if they had been purchased from some reputable growers. Never did see what the final winning bid was, but congratulations on getting some fine plants. Keep up the TLC and we'll look forward to some future bloom photos.

rdhed they actually looked better in person than in the pic several new growths on the plants ect ect.....Slipperfan yeah I found I think a couple of the crosses on the http://www.slipperorchids.info/paphdatasheets/index.html site though my next question is this

they list a philippinense x liemianum cross as Jolly Holiday
and the Lowii x liemianum cross as Song of Love

now my crosses are philippinense 'toogoodoo' x liemianum 'halls' and liemianum 'Helen' x lowii 'toogoodoo' does that still make them Jolly Holiday and Song of Love?

The names between ' ' are clonal names. The species (or hybrids) are what matters when naming the offspring, not the clonal names. Lots of people look for specific plants (clones/clonal names) because they may be excellent parents.

So the answer is, yes: philippinense x liemianum = Jolly Holiday, and liemianum x lowii = Song of Love.

Sounds like you did well with the purchase.
Now, patience and you'll be rewarded for your efforts.
Hopefully we will too with some great pictures.

Craig

ps.....WELCOME TO OUR LITTLE PLAYGROUND.

How did I miss this post and how did I miss the auction. Paph Solon has been near the top of my wish list for years.

I only came across this thread from a google search for this Paph. How big is your plant?

Edit: I sent you PM

Ron-NY I sent you a pm the plant has 5 leaves like a 10" leaf span on the bottom pair one of which is a bit rough kind of looks like it got bent or something....now one of the 5 leaves I am counting is a new leaf just starting to grow out

the one tagged z3893 Vanguard Free I am not sure what is is....it has a orchid zone tag in it and the z3893 is on the top then it has Vanguard written on it an under Vanguard it has Free written under it

Back