Does anyone have picture of Paph Oaks Ames ?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Billie

My plant grows but doesn't flower ? I saw a print picture on Antec but it wasn't that detailed or clear .I realize it has Roth /in its makeup but how long ? its going on 6 yrs now .
thanks for any help anyone has on this plant .
Billie

Some of those complex intersectional hybrids, roth type by maudiae types are slow to get going. I have I'ansonii (Morganiae x stonei) which has superbiens in it. It takes 3 years to mature a growth on a 5+ growth plant. That is if I don't neglect it. If I screw it up it takes years to get it fat and happy again. But the blooms are worth waiting for.

What is the leafspan on your plant? # of growths? how much light? One would think after 6 yrs. it would certainly be blooming size! Has it had temperature drops?

Thanks all -my plant is

now only 2 growths was 3 before repot :mad:- anyway main growth is is about 24" across span - i don't think it temp.- as i have a St Swithin's coming into bud --very low down at moment that was why I went to check my Oaks Ames . -- thankyou also for the picture - I'll keep on hopeing
Billie

Hi Billie, Keep on treating your Oaks Ames like the Saint Swithin. If it is bright enough for the St Swithin, it is bright enough for the other. Eventually it will bloom, but it will just take time. My I'Ansonii took 12 years to get it to bloom the first time, partly because I set it back once or twice, but partly becasue it is just plain slow growing. It is an error to assume all Paphs can be bloomed in as little as 5 or 6 years. Some bloom quick, some may take 10 or 15 years.
Case in point, a flask of seedling rothschildianum was planted out by a friend. One seedling galloped ahead and bloomed in only 4 years!!!! The second seedling of the 28 or so did not bloom until year 6. My seedlings from that batch bloomed in year 7, but a few did not begin blooming until year 10 or so. Some may have not bloomed yet, in year 15. Culture and individual genetic variation play together, making platitudes about how it should bloom in 5 (or pick a number) years meaningless. The plants just don't hear us when we say they are supposed to bloom on schedule. Do you want to keep putting effort into a slow to bloom plant? That is up to you to decide. I keep quite a number of slow growers. I think they are worth it, thats why you keep at least one Phal around to look at while you are waiting for the good stuff.
Leo

Thanks Leo

I.ve got another couple I got at much the same time - I'm not sure if they have been named but are along same lines - P mastersianum X esquirolei
and Primechild x Callo-Roth . like you said a waiting game they are nice size plants and i guess oneday --maybe ??
we have had no luck getting a pod on our exstaminodiums but they are still alive - one got to three growths and had 2 spikes we cut one spike and tried to self seed the other but it didnt work the pod had no varible seed in it we followed your instructions - maybe this year ? anyway thanks for your anwer on my paph - i'm tring to take stock of what has flowered and what hasn't here now .
Billie

Great to hear the Phrag extaminodiums are still alive. Don't know what to say about pollination. One trick I have used with besseae is to try pollinating the flowers within the first 3 days or so of opening. It is always a challenge (and the challenge is the fun) trying to sort out these 'little' problems.

True, very much the same way Phrag lindenii self pollinates. BUT, she was getting empty seed capsules. So she is looking for a way to make sure she gets seed. That species is not common in Australia, it is import that a seed population gets made.

Latest posts

Back