Does anyone believe that a true Phragmipaphium has been made?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you can see the blue light used to give that Hanes Magic its strange look reflected on the wall in the background.
definitley a paph hybrid.

Blake, you're right, it looks like someone just did something to it in Photoshop or something, the picture doesn't even look right...

Blake, you're right, it looks like someone just did something to it in Photoshop or something, the picture doesn't even look right...

Hi,

There are on my website two photos of the same plant, made at the same show/meeting, which where made by two different people. I personally think that the other photos has better colours.
See:
http://www.phragweb.info/phragmipaphium/hybrids/photos/display_thumbnails_phrphm.asp?phrphm_id=406&phrphm_name=Hanes%27+Magic

All the best,

Rob

I even took the photos into Photoshop to see if I could correct the colors. The one on the left isn't bad, but the one on the right is way off. I suspect, since they are of the same plant taken by two different people, that the color error is in the light/film chosen. Digital cameras wouldn't help unless they had an accurate white balance setting.

It's hard for me to compare these two photos with Gilda's because the color is so bad on the two. Sorry, Rob.

It seems curious that more photos aren't available. It's certainly not for lack of curiosity.

I can't begin to explain exactly how it happens, but I suspect they are chimeras.

Regards,
Rick

Looking at both photos from a photographers view they both appear to be taken with a low resolution camera, perhaps an old one? Anybody know when the images were made?
Also both pictures appear to have been heavily manipulated with an image program which was probably the creators attempt to make poor images better. Since the images are at the very least suspect, they can't really be used to determine if the actual hybrid exists.

Personally I don't see the Phrag part of the hybrid, it just looks like a Paph to me.

Sadly, the Mexipedium x Phrag. fischeri ended up being very Phrag dominant as well.

I won't be convinced either way until I personally make the cross and raise the progeny...so it might be a while ;)

Jon

I'd hate to see anyone rush to judgement. Both John Haynes and Fumi Sugiyama were/are growers and breeders of sterling reputations. I can't believe they would knowingly perpetuate a fraud.
It would be nice to hear from Bob Wellenstein, Tom Kalina or Jerry Fischer to get their take.

Regards,
Rick

I'd hate to see anyone rush to judgement. Both John Haynes and Fumi Sugiyama were/are growers and breeders of sterling reputations. I can't believe they would knowingly perpetuate a fraud.
It would be nice to hear from Bob Wellenstein, Tom Kalina or Jerry Fischer to get their take.

Regards,
Rick

I want to make it clear that I was not suggesting anyone was trying to perpetuate a fraud. My comments about the pictures were not meant to imply that they had been manipulated to look more like a Phrag. The intent was rather to point out that the pictures were not of high enough quality and most likely not original camera takes and therefore should not be used to determine if the hybrid was in fact true.

The hybridizer may well have used inter generic pollen in an attempt to make seed. But I doubt the Phrag pollen was what set the seed based on the flower shape alone.

The best photos of Hane's Magic are in the original article, I believe it was March, 1985 in the AOS Bulletin (now Orchids). I may be off by a month, or even a year, but my memory is generally good...about all that's left of my mind. It looks like a paph to me, alway's did. By the way, as I recall, phrag chromosomes look different from paph chromosomes...I think they are smaller...but I may be wrong on that point...can't remember where I saw the articles(s?) comparing the chromosomes, (so much for my good memory.....) but I distinctly remember paphs having larger chromosomes. Take care, Eric

I don't see Phrag in these plants... Cochlopetalum, yes...

Anyone hear of a Mex x Phrag cross that actually looks real?

BW,

V.

I have heard mex x phrag has been done successfully but without a believable pic, I put it up with the phragmipaphiums.

Latest posts

Back