Do You Recognize This Venerable Old Yellow Complex?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
littleyellowpaph.jpg

Normally I'm not a big fan of these guessing games, but this flower has such a rich history that I thought I'd see if anyone recognized it - (Besides Tim and Theresa, and I suspect maybe Ross, of course!) If you are a fan of the wonderful old complex hybrids, it should be pretty easy to guess. One thing to keep in mind - this flowering falls short of the potential of this flower by a longshot.

There are two famous cultivars of this hybrid - both have AM/AOS and both have been used extensively in breeding. Notice the slight colored picotee edge around the dorsal, reminiscent of Paph. Denehurst 'Surprise'. Both the flower in this photo and Paph. Denehurst have Paph. Grace Darling in their ancestry - which may turn out to be a possible source for the colored edge.

Ratcliffe made several wonderful things using this as a parent over the years, but as far as I know, no progeny have ever been awarded.

I won't drag this out very long - but I'd really be delighted to see someone recognize and identify this flower.

I don't recognize the flower, and don't have much time to do research. I'd go one generation further than Ozpaph and guess Chianti.
That's the parent of Vintage Harvest, Gaymaid, Impression, Tower Green,...

Paph. Gaymaid 'The Princess', AM/AOS

I said I wouldn't drag this out very long. Labskaus came very close, just one generation off. This is Paph. Gaymaid 'The Princess', AM/AOS. I got this one and its sibling, Paph. Gaymaid 'Tranquility', AM/AOS at the same time from Merritt Huntington of Kensington Orchids. I know there are several people on this forum who love the old complex as much as I do, so I just wanted to share something that you don't get to see very often. 'Tranquility' doesn't look like she'll bloom this year, but I'll post them side by side if I ever get the opportunity to photograph them that way.

Hi Scott,

A seldom seen, but still vibrant complex. Here's last year's blooming (it's currently in bud) of our Paph. Gaymaid 'Juliet'. Got it originally from Emerson 'Doc' Charles. Not sure why it was never awarded, but if it blooms well next time, we'll try again.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Very nice flower, indeed.
Ratcliffe currently have seedlings of Tower Green x Gaymaid "Tranquility" on offer. I'm glad mine are growing well, since this is probably as close as I'll get to a Gaymaid.
Toms flower is lovely, too.

Back