Division or Seed?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fan Tan Fannie

Reaction score
Good afternoon,

I am looking to purchase Phragmipedium Kovachii to add to my collection. Would a division from a mature plant better than the plants grow from seed? If it is from a division, what should I look for? at least two new growths? Please advise. Thanks.

Depends on what you want.
If you want an award winning plant, then definitely division
Seed grown plants may be new breeding which are easier to grow

The division plant will bloom quicker than seed plant?
That depends upon how mature the seed-grown plant is.

Typically, plants grown from seed will form multiple growths before the newest one is large enough to bloom. A division of a mature plant, on the other hand, may bloom upon maturation of the newest growth.

When seeking divisions, I think it's best to go with a minimum of 2 mature growths plus an immature one. The bigger, the better.

That depends upon how mature the seed-grown plant is.

Typically, plants grown from seed will form multiple growths before the newest one is large enough to bloom. A division of a mature plant, on the other hand, may bloom upon maturation of the newest growth.

When seeking divisions, I think it's best to go with a minimum of 2 mature growths plus an immature one. The bigger, the better.
Thank you for the explanation and advice. I would think the division bis much more expensive?

I would argue that you might get better results out of a seed grown plant, as long as that was out of parents that were also seed grown. We are into third generation captive bred by this point.

Why? Parents have been selected for ease of bloom and ease of growth (the ones that don't bloom or grow don't get the chance to breed). We've seen this with several other species. Paph. rothschildianum and sanderianum were considered very hard to grow and could take 10 years to bloom in the early generations. Now they are pretty easy and I've seen them bloom 3 or four years out of flask.

The first kovachii to come in (legally...) were a royal pain to grow. I killed probably $1000 worth of flasks, and I think I have two seedlings from that batch. Might have one in spike. For the first time. You don't want divisions of those.

I would argue that you might get better results out of a seed grown plant, as long as that was out of parents that were also seed grown. We are into third generation captive bred by this point.

Why? Parents have been selected for ease of bloom and ease of growth (the ones that don't bloom or grow don't get the chance to breed). We've seen this with several other species. Paph. rothschildianum and sanderianum were considered very hard to grow and could take 10 years to bloom in the early generations. Now they are pretty easy and I've seen them bloom 3 or four years out of flask.

The first kovachii to come in (legally...) were a royal pain to grow. I killed probably $1000 worth of flasks, and I think I have two seedlings from that batch. Might have one in spike. For the first time. You don't want divisions of those.
Thank you for your insight.

Back