Distilled water???

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have never read any opinion, thoughts or musings about this...so, here goes!
Why can‘t you use water from the condensate line of your air conditioner? This is basically distilled water...isn’t it? My central air unit produces 10-15 gallons a day.
I used to have plants in the shade of my house in the summer time and I did water them with a/c water. Basically because they were so close to the A/C unit.
Now, I have considerably more plants under a carport with shade cloth further from the house. The garden hose is easier.

It should be fine. I’m trying to remember the speaker at our orchid society who uses A.C. condensate. Technically the manufacturers warn not to use the water for food crops. Talking to fish-aquarium folks, there is a concern with dissolved copper which is a concern for invertebrates, not plants.

Don't use it for fish - it will also condense other things in the atmosphere such as air fresheners etc. and these can be toxic to aquatic life.

However I've used water collected by my dehumidifier to water house plants for years with no effects. I've never used it for my orchids as I use RO water but I can't imagine it would cause any issues.

I don't know about all of you, but the water from my air conditioning
unit is VERY cold. I assume those using it must let it warm a bit. I
use it in my perennial garden, but not on orchids.

I use the water from my dehumidifier with no problem. Check the ppm and ph. As long as those are low you should be fine.

You may experience an ill effect over time if you don't fertilize similar to watering with pure RO water over time.

Back