Disney World

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin

Reaction score
I'm contemplating a trip to Disney World in late January/February, possibly March, but don't want to go when it gets too hot and humid. Anyone been there at that time? What are the crowds like, or is it always busy? Any tips for hotels, park admission, packages, etc.? I'm on a budget, so don't want to price to go too high. I really want to check out Animal Kingdom! Sounds great!

In terms of plant life, what can I expect to see? Anything in bloom? Any orchids? Disney seems to go all-out, so I expect everything to be top-notch, including the landscaping. From the photos I've seen, it all looks amazing!

No kids, just a kid at heart.:D

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I'm no expert, but you can save a bundle by not staying inside the Kingdom. When we go we usually go for a condo for the week that is outside of Disney. Even Davenport isn't too much of a ride into Disney. What we spend extra on the condo we make up by eating many of the meals in. Naturally, I'm talking quick and easy meals. We even bring lunch into Disney. It's all about what is important to you. Disney is busy most of the year so as long as the schools aren't out, it shouldn't be too bad. We are usually at the gates before they open to avoid some of the crowds. Sometimes, we'll take a break in the middle of the day and then go back. Just realize this will NOT be a relaxing vacation. Be sure to take in the Lion King show in the Animal Kingdom section. In my option that one show is worth the days admission. Hope others cheer in with other advise.

Thanks for the tips. I should have added: no car. That's why I was thinking it would be good to stay in the park, so I could take advantage of the free transportation. I was also kind of hoping for it to be at least semi-relaxing. I realize it is Disney, but...
The Lion King show is on my list. Good to hear a good review of it! What do you think of the Safari tours in the Animal Kingdom?

I alway go to The World of Orchids private G/H because I know the owner. Search my the threads for photos.
If you're looking to have club fun at night go into Orlando, Downtown.

i'm sure if you were at a motel/hotel, there would be shuttles to disney. I would think that staying there would be ridiculously expensive, but that's me. I could ask someone who takes their kids there every year...

That's a possibility for transportation. I'll have to look into that. As for prices to stay in the park, it depends on what you think is expensive. Some of the packages are actually quite reasonable, but still might end up being high after everything is taken into consideration. It's been many, many years since I've been there, and I'd love to go again.

The main problem of being in the park with no car is you are forced to pay for all the really expensive food. Some is good, some not so much. It's all up to you. The safari tour in the animal kingdom is also good. Hit that first thing in the morning. Also the they usually open the park 30 minutes earlier than they say they will.

Anyone else? Suggestions?

Does anyone know if all the resorts are open to tour if you are staying at another resort? Would be cool to walk through some of those 'high-class' ones.

Are the fireworks viewable from most areas of the parks, or only from certain areas?

Are the Downtown Disney and Disney's Boardwalk areas classified as 'parks' where you have to pay admission to get in? They are not one of the 4 'theme parks'.

Thanks.

Would it be possible to see native orchids naturally occuring in or around the Disney properties? How about non-native orchids naturalized or planted in any of the landscapes? How about bromeliads or any other epiphytes? The landscaping is as much a draw for me as any of the other attractions at the park. The pictures look great, but it might be different in person.

We went in the beginning of May last year. I was expecting huge crowds, but it was not bad. Weather was perfect. I can't even imagine going in the summer, certainly wouldn't be the happiest place on earth for me...

My wife worked out all the details, and we stayed on the property. She found a nice deal, so keep your eyes open. I think the website was 'Small World Travel' or something like that. Nice thing about staying on property is that you don't need a vehicle. We also got the meal plan, which was a pretty good deal, and it made snacks and meals in the park easy. I hate traveling. It is never restful for me. But this one wasn't bad. Probably because we just spent the few extra bucks on the package deal and let the disney people do their magic.

Wasn't cheap, but we aren't planning on going very often. And it wasn't nearly as expensive as I thought it would be. Perhaps this was because we went in the middle of the great recession... Plane tickets were expensive. Will probably do it again in a couple of years when my youngest is the age my oldest was last year... They enjoyed it, and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Epcot was probably my favorite.

Fireworks were visible mostly from the individual parks. Each park has a different night or two (or three?) when they do fireworks. There was also a fireworks display on the water one or two of the nights, which were visible from several of the resort properties.

Thanks littlefrog. I love travelling! I have been debating about the meal plan - some say it is worth it, and other not. I've heard it's very limited on what and were you can eat.

Has anyone been to the campground there? I'm thinking it might be the most 'natural' of all the areas, and perhaps a chance to see more native plants, animals and birds than other areas? I won't be staying there, but I hope I could get in just to walk around.

NOt that I know of but if you look up wild orchids in Florida you might find a few varieties that grow wild there.

Yes, I thought of that, but just because a species might be found in the general area, doesn't mean it will be found in developed areas like Disney. There are 10 species of Tillandsia that are native to the area, so I should have a chance of at least seeing some of those.

A list I saw says that Encyclia tampensis, Pteroglossaspis ecristata, Epidendrum magnoliae, Dendrophylax porrectus (syn. Harrisella porrecta), Oeceoclades maculata, Eulophia alta and possibly other species of orchids are native to the area, but what are the chances of seeing any of them in developed areas? I'd put my most hope in E. tampensis and E. magnoliae.

Just curious if anyone has actually seen any there. Also non-native naturalized ones. Maybe as part of the landscaping they decided to put some orchids in?

Thanks littlefrog. I love travelling! I have been debating about the meal plan - some say it is worth it, and other not. I've heard it's very limited on what and were you can eat.

Didn't seem that limiting when we did it. I think it would get tiresome after more than 5 days, though. If I recall, it was kind of a points system, if you wanted to upgrade your dining experience you just paid more points, which meant you'd have to buy a meal later, perhaps. This worked for us. Was good with kids, they were happy with limited meal options. Even if they had a million options, they were only going to order at most 5 different things, that is all they ever order...

If you do get a car there are (were) a number of orchid growers near to Orlando. Or at least the last time I tried that, which was at least 10 years ago. I don't recall seeing a whole lot of orchids in the park, but they were around the landscaping. Which of course is Disney perfect... They don't do anything half-way. Which means there isn't a lot of 'natural' anything in the parks. It kind of looks natural, but that is 'Disney natural'.

there was a link here somewhere to Prem's site. I'll try to find it or link from the web.
http://flnativeorchids.blogspot.com/2011/04/floridas-first-native-slipper-orchid.html

Yeah, that's the one I used. Actually the Gallery is where I got the info on locations. Good site.

You can go South to June's for orchid shopping :evil:.

I wish! I'd love to go look, but no buying. Might be easy to say now, but harded if I'm there. It's not worth the paperwork hassle. Besides, I should be cutting back, not adding!

Didn't seem that limiting when we did it. I think it would get tiresome after more than 5 days, though. If I recall, it was kind of a points system, if you wanted to upgrade your dining experience you just paid more points, which meant you'd have to buy a meal later, perhaps. This worked for us. Was good with kids, they were happy with limited meal options. Even if they had a million options, they were only going to order at most 5 different things, that is all they ever order...

If you do get a car there are (were) a number of orchid growers near to Orlando. Or at least the last time I tried that, which was at least 10 years ago. I don't recall seeing a whole lot of orchids in the park, but they were around the landscaping. Which of course is Disney perfect... They don't do anything half-way. Which means there isn't a lot of 'natural' anything in the parks. It kind of looks natural, but that is 'Disney natural'.

Thanks. Good tips.

The landscaping there I think would be something to see for sure. Would be awesome to see orchids too, or any epiphytes.

Lots of good info people - thanks. I'm not for sure if I can or will go when I want, but the info is appreciated anyway. There is always next year...

Back