Disappointing flower of Phrag. QF Malia

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Cross is: QF Naukana Kealoha x Nicholle Tower. These are the third and fourth flowers. The first two flowers looked identical before they fell off. At least it is a branching Phrag (and a variegated type color) but the dorsal does not separate from the petals. I decided to cut the edge to at least open the flower a little.
. 1620577270443.jpeg

1620577292561.jpeg

pic after cutting the edge of petals and dorsal:
1620577521875.jpeg

Recently I had similar problems with few catts and paphs.I have a first time bloomer selected philippinense in bud but now i can see that this will go to garbage, all of them have splitted synsepal .☹☹☹It is a self cross, too, of course.I finished with self crosses.

Michael, I would cut that spike off and see what the next growth does before giving up. Phrags are particularly vulnerable to flower-part anomalies. I ended up with an AM/AOS on a phrag that first bloomed (for me) with no pouch and I have seen every oddity you can imagine (just because I have a lot of little phrags). To dodidoki’s point, I think Catts, Dens, and Paphs are more stable in that particular regard, so you get what you get (although size, color, and flower count can be improved with culture sometimes). My thoughts anyway.
Best, Kate
P.S. I like the color a lot. Can’t really tell, but based on the glimpse of leaves, I am wondering if you might try a little more light and water.

Recently I had similar problems with few catts and paphs.I have a first time bloomer selected philippinense in bud but now i can see that this will go to garbage, all of them have splitted synsepal .☹☹☹It is a self cross, too, of course.I finished with self crosses.
But maybe next bloom, the synsepal of philippinense shall not be split. Give it a chance. I have a philippinense album that has 3 buds. The first bloom had the synsepal completely split, the second just a little and we shall see for the third.

Latest posts

Back