Disa Riversdale 3D

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice, don't think I've ever seen a photo of a disa photo before, and pretty sure I've never seen a disa in person. Love those 3-D images! :clap:

Hey Dot,

Yes, in this case, I'm not complaining about the photography because it's not mine, but the highlights are blocked up. That said, this hybrid really is vibrantly orange... and since its his first set of photos for a 3D, I'm pretty impressed with them!

As Ever,
Matt

Eric,

It really depends on how you intend to water them.

Our Disas are generally grown in a 50:50 mixture of moss and coarse perlite or diatomite. This keeps the pH low and the moisture high.... Disas should NEVER dry out. But generally, they can be grown like Phrags: lots of high quality water, generally cool temperatures, and pretty bright light. Water quality is very important.

I have a couple of links on my website for culture information, but this is a good place to start. They have a page about potting them, too: http://www.disas.com/culture.htm

Wally Orchard grows many of his plants in a flow table. Some of those plants are actually grown in gravel, and they do well, too.

The only reservation that I have about growing Disas in standing water is that they are prone to fungal infection. Phrags don't usually seem to have a problem with that... but Disas will be killed pretty quickly. So, I'd really recommend either a flow table (running water) or top watering. FWIW, the experiments that I did with semi-hydro pots were not encouraging.

Hope that helps a little.

As Ever,
Matthew Gore

I have pumps that circulate the water [R.O. available], and can bottom water them, so maybe gravel, perlite, diatomite and a very little moss?

Latest posts

Back