Disa media

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For the Disa growers out there - have any of you ever tried using NZ tree fern fiber or rockwool cubes in a Disa mix? I’ve only used a chopped sphag and perlite combo, but am curious about other media.

Probably no help for you, but I have a friend who grows Disa in a bathtub filled with coco fiber on the
bottom of the tub and NZ long fibered sphagnum moss with a bit of coarse perlite thrown in as the
growing medium. Quite successfully too.

I've killed all I've ever tried so no help here. :(
The first time I tried growing Disas, I killed ’em (species) all. A year later, I decided that I would not be felled by that experience, and re-entered the Disa growing world with a few hybrids, plus D. uniflora. So far, so good. For me, it’s kind of a “The Three Bears“ experience. They’re super happy as long as things are “just right.”

I had a fair amount of success growing them in 100% tree fern fibre and using Dyna Gro Grow 7-9-5 + Pro-Tekt as a nutrient solution, both mixed at 1:3 000. Disa's do not like a lot of salt.

Back