Disa Kewbett

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I saw photos of Disa flowers years ago, and they immediately went on my wishlist. I didn’t find any plants for sale until this summer, and I bought two. I was so surprised to see buds start to peek out last month! It doesn’t have the best form, but I’m beyond delighted that it bloomed at all.

Attachments

• 317A0124-DA36-49C2-9F3D-AF03BF221B6A.jpeg
    317A0124-DA36-49C2-9F3D-AF03BF221B6A.jpeg
    152.7 KB · Views: 24
Nice thing! For us in temperate UK they are not thought of as difficult!
just treat as carnivorous plants like sarracenia. Keep wet and give tiny amounts of feed when in growth. They are almost hardy here. I kept mine outside last winter and just brought it in when sub zero temperatures were forecast.
Incidentally they are about the easiest orchid to grow from seed. Just scatter. the contents of a seed pod on fresh moss and keep damp. It takes about three years to get to flowering size.

Nice thing! For us in temperate UK they are not thought of as difficult!
just treat as carnivorous plants like sarracenia. Keep wet and give tiny amounts of feed when in growth. They are almost hardy here. I kept mine outside last winter and just brought it in when sub zero temperatures were forecast.
Incidentally they are about the easiest orchid to grow from seed. Just scatter. the contents of a seed pod on fresh moss and keep damp. It takes about three years to get to flowering size.

I haven’t found care to be too difficult either, but it is very different than my other orchids. Now you’ve got me thinking about trying to pollinate. There’s another bud behind the open flower….

Wow Anna!!! Always been scared to adventure in disas world. Is your a hibrid or a species?

Wow Anna!!! Always been scared to adventure in disas world. Is your a hibrid or a species?

it’s a hybrid. I keep it under an LED, next to my alocasia, not with the rest of my orchids. I keep the medium constantly damp, and it’s been surprisingly easy so far! But I’ve only had it for a few months, so we’ll see if I can keep it happy long term.

......It doesn’t have the best form, but I’m beyond delighted that it bloomed at all.

He, he Anna, the shape of this flower is better than you described it and the colour is fascinating. 👌
I think every Disa flower is a highlight because I know from the hearsay, not from my own experience, they are difficult and tricky and therefore hard to grow. Good luck to the future.

Last edited:
He, he Anna, the shape of this flower is better than you described it and the coour is fascinating. 👌
I thing every Disa flower is a highlight because I know from the hearsay, not from my own experience, they are dificult and tricky and therefore hard to grow. Good luck to the future.

Especially when it first opened, it was very cupped, and I had thought it “should” be flatter. It has opened a bit more since then. And I’ve never seen anything quite this color before!

Latest posts

Back