Digital Cameras

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

lienluu

Hi everyone,

I want to get a new digital camera, but am totally lost as to what to get. It's primarily for taking photos of the orchids and i'd like to get something that can take photos of very small orchids! I have some really neat minatures, but it's impossible to photograph these small blooms.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks
Lien

You probaby need to get a digital SLR like the Canon EOS or Nikon D70 series with changable lens. For good macro photos a separate lens is better than the ones with builtin macro mode. I was looking for a camera a few months ago and that is what they suggested.

Paphman910

Paphman910 said:
You probaby need to get a digital SLR like the Canon EOS or Nikon D70 series with changable lens. For good macro photos a separate lens is better than the ones with builtin macro mode. I was looking for a camera a few months ago and that is what they suggested.

Paphman910

That is what I was thinking as well, but still not sure what brand/model/lens would be best. What did you decide on?

Thanks,
Lien

I haven't decided yet because these cameras but more along the lines of a Canon 30D EOS without lens. If I were you I would buy the digital camera without the lens and buy separate lens than range from $200-350 for a very good macro lens. Alway invest in a good lens is what the camera expert told me at the shop. You should check out the specifications and reviews on dpreview.com before you buy the camera. I think autofocus is good but for flowers you need to have manual focus. I heard my friends who have digital camera have a hard time focusing on a part of the flower using autofocus.

Paphman910

Can't beat the price.
old20camerata7.jpg

Hey Lien,

I've been using Canon EOS cameras for about 15 years, and love them. I've used Nikons as well (my current digital is a Nikon) and I've consistantly been unfavorably impressed with their auto-focusing capabilities. For me, they search a lot, and focus poorly in low light and close up. Its not surprising that the Nikkor 105 mm micro lens has a focusing range limiter (so that it doesnt search through the whole range all the time). Its an excellent lens, don't get me wrong :)

Anyway, the modern Canon EOS digitals are all around 8 M pixels, and unless you're a serious photographer, I doubt that the 20d has much more to offer than the Rebel d. I really like the exposure compensation wheel on the back of the 20d (and my old EOS A2), but it's a feature that many people ignore. But for me, the Canons have awesome auto-focus, and intuitive controls.

I'd also get a micro lens (I don't mean Macro; micro is 1:1). Canon used to make a 100mm micro lens, Nikon has a 105. The camera is only as good as the lens that you put in front of it :)

- Matthew

I got a new Canon Rebel and love it. I do need to eventually read the manual and get a better macro lens though. I'd give more specifics about it, but still at work now.

Jon
________
BHO HASH OIL

Last edited:
Heather said:
I had my very first NY System Hot Weiner last week for a buck sixty.
I really have no idea what that means. However, I'm piecing it together using the words in that sentence and it is very, very funny.

I bought my daughter a Nikon D50 for her graduation...Its great, just like a "real" camera. I bought myself a Nikon Coolpix L2, but there is no comparison with the pictures. If you want, PM me and I'll send you a comparison...a P. concolor photograped by both cameras. Both are 6 megapixels, but the difference is incredible...of course, the D50 is about $450 more than the L2.....but if you are serious about photography, the D50 (or whatever its upgrades are) is the way to go. Take care, Eric

kentuckiense said:
I really have no idea what that means. However, I'm piecing it together using the words in that sentence and it is very, very funny.

Okay, boy is this ever OT...

http://www.olneyvillenysystem.com/

FWIW, I am researching an exhibit at work on RI food. RI food is really weird. We have these strange items that are ONLY available in Rhode Island. Coffee Milk, Cabinets (Milk Shakes), Stuffies (Stuffed Quahogs) and NY System Hot Weiners. 'We' also call them "stubbies" or "gaggas"
They are wee little hot dogs w/ meat sauce, onions, mustard, and celery salt and they are lined up on one's arm. The retail for about a buck sixty. Most people eat three. I had my first ONE last week. There is a story that David Byrne, who worked at the above location when he was a student at RISD, alluded to this "up the arm" motion in one of the Talking Head's videos, but I (most unfortunately) disproved that rumor last week. He did work there, but the motion of chopping on his arm apparently came from some Japanese teen dance moves.

I am not making this up. I have articles. I can prove this. Really.

*Edit* I am STILL planning on trying to contact David Byrne (who I met in Santa Fe years ago) and asking him to come to our opening and eat a wiener for us for press purposes. Really. I am. I work in PR. How great would that be??

Mmmmm. I need to get some weiner spice mix.

And with that, I am back. I couldn't think of a better first line for my return.

Lien, I think that looks like a great choice for a lens. The camera is awesome, I've played around with one but don't own one yet. One day I'll get one myself :)

- Matt

Jon in SW Ohio said:
Hmmm...looks like Rhode Island is trying to rip off our Cincinnati Chili Coney Dogs...

Jon

Jon,
Coney's apparently were indeed the same thing (or similar anyway, the RI version has its roots with the Greek immigrant population) - called that because when hot dogs were first widely available, the association with New York was so great they had to associate with the state somehow in order to sell them - so states such as Ohio and RI came up w/ their own NY related name in order to do so.

Eric Muehlbauer said:
If you want, PM me and I'll send you a comparison...a P. concolor photograped by both cameras. Both are 6 megapixels, but the difference is incredible...

Eric, please post it for everyone to see! I think the comparission would be useful for any one considering contimplaiting spending the extra money.

But if you insist, please PM the pictures to me as well.

Kyle

Latest posts

Back