different in leaves' shapes of 2 hangianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I have to describe it, I would say this flower is similar to a parfum with jasmine flower & lotus flower tone, sweet (also has an ingredient slightly baby talcum powder & "Old Spice" cologne in it)
My other hangianums have similar scent in general, but they have something I would say a sour note in their scents , this one does not have that sour note .
But what surprise me most is its 24 hrs continuous scent versus a couple day light hours of my other hangianums .
That’s a lot of scents in there lol. But I agree with you.

Mammoth had a heavy sweet smell of almond and jasmine, with aftertones of rose at the end notes. The fragrance was all day but strongest in mid morning and sundown.

That’s a lot of scents in there lol. But I agree with you.

Mammoth had a heavy sweet smell of almond and jasmine, with aftertones of rose at the end notes. The fragrance was all day but strongest in mid morning and sundown.
I almost said a little bit of rose in there too.
By the way , the red volcano godefroyae in the back ground has a very strong ginseng scent , remind you of earthy air of tropical summer

Did you post a pic of that godefroyae?

I did detect a mild mushroom earthy smell on my godefroyaes but I thought it was my imagination lol.
yes there is a mushroom scent to it , if you ever go to an Asian herbal store, try to sniff the Ginseng, you will find how remarkably its scent resembles the godefroyae's scent .
Any way , I found the photo of Xavier's hangianum , this flower is gigantic , as an orchid Judge yourself, do you think his hangianum is beyond FCC material , had he enter it for judging?Xavier-hangianum-var-passion.jpg

yes there is a mushroom scent to it , if you ever go to an Asian herbal store, try to sniff the Ginseng, you will find how remarkably its scent resembles the godefroyae's scent .
Any way , I found the photo of Xavier's hangianum , this flower is gigantic , as an orchid Judge yourself, do you think his hangianum is beyond FCC material , had he enter it for judging?View attachment 34206
Holy god.

Any way , I found the photo of Xavier's hangianum , this flower is gigantic , as an orchid Judge yourself, do you think his hangianum is beyond FCC material , had he enter it for judging?View attachment 34206
Very beautiful, also interesting note about the smell. I drink ginseng tea almost every day (a Korean staple) and it’s such a unique smell.

Goodness, that flower is huge...with a lot of red also. Two of the qualities that will be line bred for would be flower size, and red, increasing the amount of red! The genesis of hangianum is in its infancy, and we are witnessing it!

I am not sure , but a long time ago I bought 4 or 5 plants of this cross , 2 from Norman orchids, the other 3 from other sellers, all their tags said : hangianum 'Bear#1' x 'Bear Giant' . I killed all of them , except this lone one survived (I think I was able to save this one plant , because in desperation I repotted it in totally clean media , I think the plant double its size from last year)
This is the link to Norman website, I am not sure if the flowers in the listing really represent this cross, or just any hangianum flowers from Hungsheng gallery for advertising.
Paph. hangianum (hangianum ' Bear #1 x hangianum ' Bear Giant ") / Orchids.com

Ooops sorry, with the above post...I have purchased grew, raised and flowered 1 hangianum...it was no trouble at all. I have charlesworthii, fairrieanum, and vietnamense that presented more problems, slower growing. This plant close to doubled in size, set a bud, and then winter hit and the bud stopped...set dormant for a few months and went on and bloomed this past spring. Hien, your pics are growing in limestone rock, and very healthy looking plants! I grew in a standard coarse bark mix. Perhaps this specie isn't all that troublesome?

I think the shape of leaves doesn't effect to the shape of flower . Some paph tend to get shorter height and bigger width when you bring them back from jungle. Enviroment can effect all paph and others dendrobium species

Latest posts

Back