different in leaves' shapes of 2 hangianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hien

Reaction score
I put them side by side so you can see how different they are.
one has elongate and narrow leaves the other has chubby , almost double leaves' width .
Does anyone know whether the shape of the leaves indicate the plant's flower shape or not? IMG_4788.JPG

Mammoth has short compact leaves 12.5 cm by 4 cm and had full round flowers. The recent FCC from Krull Smith had long leaves and round flower too. So in this respect it’s not indicative of flower shape based solely on leaves IMO.

Let’s see when yours come into bloom?

Could the plant with the wide leaves be a tetraploid?
I am not sure , but a long time ago I bought 4 or 5 plants of this cross , 2 from Norman orchids, the other 3 from other sellers, all their tags said : hangianum 'Bear#1' x 'Bear Giant' . I killed all of them , except this lone one survived (I think I was able to save this one plant , because in desperation I repotted it in totally clean media , I think the plant double its size from last year)
This is the link to Norman website, I am not sure if the flowers in the listing really represent this cross, or just any hangianum flowers from Hungsheng gallery for advertising.
Paph. hangianum (hangianum ' Bear #1 x hangianum ' Bear Giant ") / Orchids.com

Mammoth has short compact leaves 12.5 cm by 4 cm and had full round flowers. The recent FCC from Krull Smith had long leaves and round flower too. So in this respect it’s not indicative of flower shape based solely on leaves IMO.

Let’s see when yours come into bloom?
I think it shows a "possible terminal flower leaf in the middle" but no bud yet. we can only rely on the advertising photos from Norman orchids,however in my opinion, those photos look random , perhaps not representing the cross.
https://www.orchids.com/Paph-hangianum-hangianum-Bear-1-x-hangianum-Bear-Giant--P1270.aspx

I don't know the cross of the one in bud right now, I was hoping for an album when the bud was small, but when the bud grows bigger, it starts to show some red at the bud base , but not enough red either ,
so there you are, neither wishing alba nor rubra .
furthermore, looking at the shape of the pre-open dorsal , I don't think it is going to be with wide dorsal , and round flower either
IMG_4785.JPGIMG_4842.JPG

I think it shows a "possible terminal flower leaf in the middle" but no bud yet. we can only rely on the advertising photos from Norman orchids,however in my opinion, those photos look random , perhaps not representing the cross.
https://www.orchids.com/Paph-hangianum-hangianum-Bear-1-x-hangianum-Bear-Giant--P1270.aspx
The picture is one of the several range possible but likely a breeding plant with good flower.

Some flowers are elongated and floppy, others rounder. It’s the luck of the draw really. However, good parents can produce better flowers so yours might hit the jackpot!

Due to the anthocyanins on the flower stalk and bud, it is definitely not an album. Maybe the other one?

Last edited:
The picture is one of the several range possible but likely a breeding plant with good flower.

Some flowers are elongated and floppy, others rounder. It’s the luck of the draw really. However, good parents can produce better flowers so yours might hit the jackpot!

Due to the anthocyanins on the flower stalk and bud, it is definitely not an album.
The one in bud right now is not from Hung Sheng breeding, I think it will be just an average looking flower , I measure the bud, it is 5 cm right now, so once open , it will be about 10 cm (unless you tell me that the flower could still extent after opens)

It will enlarge to more than 10cm, for sure. I predict more like 12-13.
Tony , do you think flowers still expand more after opening ?
The reason I wonder about the final flower size after opening,
is that it already seems to reach the maximum size of its budding stage
(for you can see it starts to open)
I check the description of this species, many websites mention hangianum flowers range between 9 cm to 13 cm .
Except those owned by xavier which I believe must be beyond 17 or18 cm , they are absolutely humongous ,I remember there was on the internet , a photo of the hangianum as large as a person chest (did he post one in this forum?)

Last edited:
The flower definitely expands on opening and can take 3-5 days to fully opened. Mammoth was about 15 cm.
Leslie,
Today
- the dorsal is at 5.5 cm (I think the dorsal now stop growing)
- the sepals is at 6.5 cm (it may still growing some more like you said)
- for some reason the flower is still very droopy , i have to tilt the pot and take the picture from below to have a better view of the flower , hopefully at the end it does not look this droopy .IMG_4849.JPGIMG_4848.JPGIMG_4858.JPGIMG_4850.JPG

It’s still expanding. Once fully open, stake flower up carefully.
will do .
The flower of this plant is very fragrant , the scent was there even at the moment the petals were just slightly part, the scent also there morning and night , I detected it even as late as 2:00 AM , my other hangianums only have any scent after open fully and only in the morning to around noon

How would you describe the fragrance?
If I have to describe it, I would say this flower is similar to a parfum with jasmine flower & lotus flower tone, sweet (also has an ingredient slightly baby talcum powder & "Old Spice" cologne in it)
My other hangianums have similar scent in general, but they have something I would say a sour note in their scents , this one does not have that sour note .
But what surprise me most is its 24 hrs continuous scent versus a couple day light hours of my other hangianums .

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back