Difference in culture

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LesChatsJardin

Reaction score
Hi, I’m a new member and have always loved slippers. I started growing them 2 years ago. I have both the mottled leaf and strap leaf varieties and I’d really like a good discussion of the culture differences between them; specifically, light and temperature requirements. Thanks so much- Judith

Personally, I don’t treat them any differently. As my growing space in this home is very limited, they get what they get…

Thanks everyone- this is a really great site. I’ve been looking at other posts on my question and I’m getting a better idea on requirements- I understand your point,Ray; I, too, am space challenged. I have my plants in various windows, luckily, I have both an eastern and southern exposure in my kitchen, and I move them around depending on season. So, I’m definitely contemplating not worrying about any differences and just try to keep them happy. I have 4 plants putting up buds, so I guess I’m doing something right.

Judith

Thanks everyone- this is a really great site. I’ve been looking at other posts on my question and I’m getting a better idea on requirements- I understand your point,Ray; I, too, am space challenged. I have my plants in various windows, luckily, I have both an eastern and southern exposure in my kitchen, and I move them around depending on season. So, I’m definitely contemplating not worrying about any differences and just try to keep them happy. I have 4 plants putting up buds, so I guess I’m doing something right.

Judith
Good luck, you have got the orchid bug!😀

Hi Judith, this is my understanding based on a lot of things I've read here and there. Mottled leaves need less light, a bit warmer. Strap leaved need a little (in some cases maybe even a lot) more light, possibly cooler in the Winter depending on the specific species involved. To confuse matters there are the parvisepalums which also have beautiful mottled leaves but some of them are actually cool growing. Let us know what you find out!

Welcome for Victoria, BC Canada. East and South exposure is great! I started growing Cattleya walkerianas on the window and they all flowered! All these years I thought I could not grow Cattleya and stuck to growing only strap leaf lady slippers under lights. Space is a challenge for me as well!

Welcome to the forum. There is a lot of info shared here, also photos of our blooming plants. Be sure and let us enjoy too when your buds unfurl!

Latest posts

Back