Differece between zieckianum and wentworthianum. Is there any at all?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I found these photoes on net.(none of them is mine!) I can see same flowers......(first and second is zieck, third and fourth is wentworthi)

Attachments

• ziek1.jpg
    ziek1.jpg
    1.6 KB · Views: 149
  • ziek2.jpg
    ziek2.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 149
  • went1.jpg
    went1.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 149
  • went2.jpg
    went2.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 149
The major difference has been noted by others to be that the Paph. zieckianum flower has spots on the proximal (inner part) of the petals, while wentworthianum lacks them. We've also seen clones of zieckianum with sharper leaf tessellations than wentworthianum. Paph. zieckianum and Paph. papuanum are supposed to be synonymous, but many of the adult plants in the US marked papuanum have turned out to be Paph. violascens.

All those photos look like papuanum to me. Tom- you would know better than me, but it was in the pre-CITES days of importing collected paphs that all "papuanums" turned out to be violascens. Nowadays, there are simply no papuanums...and few violascens.

wentworthianum plants would look closer to mastersianum in size and leaf shape. zieckianum are smaller plants with harder leaves. Other than that, I wondered if wentworthianum is not a variety of zieckianum, whose real name is papuanum anyway. The fourth picture is not clear, but does not seem to be wentworthianum...

For me, wentworthianum, papuanum, and mastersianum are all the same species.

I don't think so. I think first three ones are papuanum, fourth is wentworthi.(it has no dots on sepals)

That one is sure a wentworthianum

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14223&highlight=wentworthianum

Mastersianum, and wentworthianum/zieckianum are as different as delenatii is from armeniacum, it is impossible to mix up those two ones. Wentworthianum and zieckianum is a more complicated story. I have seen wentworthianum with dots on the petals, and zieckianum without any dots, with various flower shapes. Wentworthianum is coming from Guadalcanal, and a couple of the other islands in the Solomons exclusively, and it could be a geographic variant of the real papuanum/zieckianum from nearby PNG...

I think often the difficulty in popular identity of these sort of lesser-known and similar species is the often widespread mislabelling of plants in the trade, leading to an even greater difficulty in identifying just exactly what's what. I've seen this with other groups, and the misidentification just gets worse with each passing generation of plants as more are bred and traded around with incorrect or confusing labels.

For me, wentworthianum, papuanum, and mastersianum are all the same species.

In my opinion,the problem in this group,is only caused by misslabeling by indonesian who tried to sell plants with different names to sell more and cause of ignorance about this Paph group.In my opinion this are the species with variants(and no way to get wrong between species cause are very different....but can get wrong easily with variants):

Species variants
mastersianum mohrianum

violascens bouganvilleanum,saskianum

papuanum zieckianum(still difficult to say if synonim or not)

wentworthianum

after have seen the plants once everyone can easily recognize in wich goup belongs.

Latest posts

Back