Dendrophylux lindenii reintroduction

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naoki

Reaction score
Dendrophylax lindenii reintroduction

Here is a small story about D. lindenii reintroduction. I'm not sure which part is the "news", but I guess that they worked on the process moving from the greenhouse to the wild.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/01/160126112128.htm

It says that their paper is in review, so it will be interesting to read it once it's published. Maybe I can try it again some day.

Last edited:
Interesting story. I feel lucky to have seen this species in the wild on many occasions, always within Fakahatchee Strand. That was over twenty years ago now, so I wonder how many of them were taken that I'd seen. I'm glad someone is doing something to improve population numbers. Many of Florida's epiphytic orchids are in danger of extinction or are already gone from the state.

Naoki, I have an orchid friend in Wisconsin who blooms
ghost orchids regularly and very well by mounting them on
a stick and placing each plant in a plastic milk jug with a
large hole cut out of the side opposite the handle. He puts the jugs on his kitchen window sill and they grow quite large. He keeps a very small amount of rain water
in the bottom of the jug and does a little spritz of rain water on the roots once a day. The set up ain't pretty, but it works really well.

Abax
Then a terrarium would work well you think? I have always wanted to try this species!

Tom, I'd love to see them in nature. My in-laws are in FL, so one of those days, I need to go see them!

Angela, I've heard a method similar to the milk jug, too. I had a couple small ones from Oak Hill, so I tried something similar (and several methods), but nothing worked for me. They didn't do anything for about a year or so, and eventually died. Tom Kalina grows a nice one (the photo is gone, though):
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30649
I didn't try his "neglect" method!

JAB, I might be wrong, but I think Mikael of Sweden grows it successfully in an enclosure.

Apparently "dead", humid air is important.

I recall Ed Merkle saying that he had more success growing them on an open structure like hardware cloth, than on a flat surface like cork bark.

I look forward to trying to raise them! Is Tom still working with the species?

I have no experience with ghost orchids at all, but the
milk jug had a small fan blowing over it. I think dead air
is the problem. The roots like the humidity, but want lots
of air movement. The Wis. friend just had his plants on
a stick and the roots were everywhere inside and trying to push outside of the milk jug.

Back