Dendrobuim kingianium v. variegatum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Barbara

Resued this guy from the dark depths of the garden centre a few years ago. It was over watered, rotting....no roots...keiki's everywhere.:rollhappy: So I repotted all the keiki's and this is the biggest with it's first large display of flowers. Love the foilage on this one.

HPIM1256.jpg
[/IMG]

:)

:) wow I like this one! excellent find. (wanting to have a keiki...........)
It looks like one I found on Asiatica called Dend kingianum 'Beni Otome'. I thought about having an import order but I won't afford to get this one because those Neofinetia falcata are expensive

smartie2000 said:
:) wow I like this one! excellent find. (wanting to have a keiki...........)
It looks like one I found on Asiatica

Hey I'm willing to ship one if you really do want one. They're smaller and they weren't repotted when they should have been so the leaves have curled a bit, but they're still healthy. Too many orchids, not enough orchid bark....:(

smartie2000 said:
Sure Barbara. I wouldn't mind growing a baby one. Maybe I'll send you payment or send you a division of something

Sure whatever you want to do, PM me with info. Warmer weather is coming eventually....:D

I just bloomed her! I'm not so good with dends so I only got two bud (unless more are coming? the are bumps growing but I am snapping anything off that looks like a keiki so keep things tidy). Looks like the flower will open more when I compare it to Barbara's photo. I think I need to take better care of this plant:eek:
DSCN2157.jpg

Congratulations on a beautiful plant. I have a couple of varigated leaf dendro kingianiums but can't get them to blom. Do you have any suggestions to try.
Thanks
Lindafrog

my plant was on a small southern windowsill. However we decided to keep the door closed and not heat that room. It has heating issues of some sort, its the laundry room (also heat escapes through the laundry drier). I'm not successsful enough with dends to offer good advice...

Anyway I am putting as many cool growers as I can fit into that room next year :). too bad the window is so small.

WOW! If any keikeis should ever want to migrate east to Newfoundland, let me know! The flowers (esp. the lip) is quite different from my standard kingianums.

I'll definitely send you a keiki. It might have some spidermite damage on the underside which I missed until the damage was already done, but I will make sure that they are gone! I believe it has no mites at the moment.

I was suprised about the lip too but I looked at how much they can vary.

Very nice, I love the variegation!

unless more are coming? the are bumps growing but I am snapping anything off that looks like a keiki so keep things tidy

I don't know about other people's plants but my kingi doesn't grow keikis until after it stopped flowering and resumed vegetative growth. I pinch out the keikis but only at summer time once it's pretty obvious what they are.

Mine's been very reliable bloomer in the last 3 winters I had it. This is how I grow it and it seems to work for me :) The plant is on a south facing window in an unheated bedroom. Plenty of light, water and fertiliser during warmer months and I more or less ignore it during the colder months so it's kept dry and cold with no fertiliser. I bring it into the sitting room when it flowers so I can admire the flowers but once it's finished I put it back and continue ignoring it until I notice new growths. It's badly pot bound so I'll probably have to finally repot it this year because I suspect it'll split the pot otherwise :eek:

I don't get dendro culture at all. I have 2 kingianum hybrids and 2 others and all they do is put up new growths! :confused: I put the kingianum in the cool room for a while but brought them out due to the temps, maybe I should have left them there.

Barbara, why not put some of the keikis on the Slippertalk auction? I don't think the variegated form is very common.

Latest posts

Back