Dendrobium tobaense

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dandrobium

Reaction score
My favorite den :p

20170503_200656web.jpg

20170508_190435web.jpg

20170508_195450web.jpg

20170508_195401web.jpg

20170509_081210web.jpg

And one with his buddy:

20170508_190532web.jpg

Last two photos are great!!
What is your temperature range for Dendroboum victoria-reginae?
The color is very good on that one!

Thanks! I keep these on the same "shelf" and it will range from low 60s at night up to 85F during the day. Right now it will likely only get down to 65F though. The vic-reg blooms whenever it feels like it. Right now it only has 1 other bud about to open, but last time I had 7 blooms on it.

The tobaense blasted its first two buds (too cold I'm guessing) and has another 3 maybe 4 in various stages :)

I got this one as a mature plant from Tropical Garden Orchids out of Vancouver. The root system was very small and the plant seemed a bit stressed. I went out on a limb and plunked it in SH, and slowly it began sending out newer, longer roots. It was a slow process though, many times I considered putting it back in a traditional bark mix. I've also seen these successfully grown mounted, although I haven't tried that. I guess the secret would be open media while trying to maintain even moisture. I maintain a good amount of air movement, and it gets ~3 hours of morning sun, bright shade the rest of the day. No special winter treatment, maybe a slight reduction in watering with minimal fertilizer. I kept the reservoir close to full for most of this winter. Humidity is typically between 50-75%, on the lower range in summer as windows are open.

I'm going to try selfing it and see where I get. Tried contacting someone that grows it to see if they have pollen but never heard back

Thanks! I keep these on the same "shelf" and it will range from low 60s at night up to 85F during the day. Right now it will likely only get down to 65F though. The vic-reg blooms whenever it feels like it. Right now it only has 1 other bud about to open, but last time I had 7 blooms on it.

The tobaense blasted its first two buds (too cold I'm guessing) and has another 3 maybe 4 in various stages :)

Thanks, good to know!

Latest posts

Back