Dendrobium speciosum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That driveway speciosum is incredible! One plant?

How many flower spikes you reckon?

Outdoors near Sydney too. Guess it can tolerate the occasional frost/snow?

Actually a few plants planted at the same time, all the same cross. ' Mount Larcom Gold' x self. Tallest canes about 1metre. We are almost beach-side. Rarely gets below about 8C deg. Speciosum will handle down to 0 but any lower and it gets frost burn

That is so wonderful, and spectacular. I think I can 'grow' that sort of orchid here in the tropics ....... but ..... unfortunately, would most likely never see them/it flower hahaha ........ as I hear they require a long period of cold ...... and/or repeated cycling of significant temperature drops ----- to initiate spiking activity, right?

I really like the various outcomes of Australian Artist a lot.

That

Outdoors near Sydney too. Guess it can tolerate the occasional frost/snow?

Doesn't snow in Sydney very often. 🙂 You can get frost in western Sydney but speciosum can handle a light frost. This species can be naturally found all around Sydney and continues south into Victoria. It is called by some as the Sydney Rock Orchid.

They all look to be butter yellow. Are none golden yellow like the parent?
Hi David, I think the work 'Gold' in the name of many of the wild collected clones is a bit of poetic license. When it was collected it probably was considered gold but not any more by today's standards

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back