dendrobium ochraceum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hien

Reaction score
This is dendrobium Ochraceum , an endemic vietnamese species, while recently, one can find them in Europe, it rarely seen in any US collection, may be not even in any collection , in fact I was asking every sellers, every growers at every shows ,and orchid nurseries for it for a long time, perhaps more than 10 years .
Finally, I was able to beg for the plant . I am so grateful to have the chance to buy it.
I pollinated it right away and donate the pod to Meyer Conservatory , in hope that if the pollination is successful, the plants of this species can be shared and cultivated among many growers, thus keep the species alive and available for US growers.
This dendrobium also has another bonus, that it has a delicate fragrance
There is some great new, the pod was viable and producing plantlets.
Currently Troy Meyer is taking reservation order.

den. ochraceum flower photo (1).JPG

Last edited:
The strangest thing is it was discovered in 1906 by De Wildeman, 113 years ago, so it is not a newly discovered species, yet it is practically not in any collection.
The cultivation culture can be found in detail in "Orchid species culture dendrobium" Margaret L. Baker & Charles O. Baker page 498
They are described as growing in northern Vietnam by the authors, however I also saw vietnamese posting that this dendrobium actually growing in the middle of the country. So I would guess that the temperature range for cultivation can be larger
den. ochraceum plant photo (2).JPG

Last edited:
Because my father passed away the same year that I pollinated the plant, I gave the plant the clone name after my father's.
Here is the link to Troy Meyer's if you also collect and grow dendrobiums
https://lab.troymeyers.com/flasking/cultivar.php?id=MC7616
Here is a blog about the species.
https://travaldo.blogspot.com/2018/02/dendrobium-ochraceum-care-and-culture.html
I have not seen any one else posting about this white version except this blogger. Perhaps the white flower plant is even harder to find. Whoever has such a unicorn, should pollinate it right away .

Last edited:
It's a neat looking Dend, and I like the color palette. Good idea to get this propagated, hopefully it will help to make this species more commonly available. I have to admire Dendrobiums from afar, although I've had some success in more recent years, for the most part, Dendrobiums just don't like my growing conditions and my care routine.

Thanks for posting the fantastic flowers and donating the pod to Meyer's. Does this species have a fragrance?
yes, it has a very pleasant gentle fragrance, and seems to be quite willing to produce blooms by itself, so the growers won't have to resort to any fancy cultural tricks at all to induce buds' forming.

Last edited:
It's a neat looking Dend, and I like the color palette. Good idea to get this propagated, hopefully it will help to make this species more commonly available. I have to admire Dendrobiums from afar, although I've had some success in more recent years, for the most part, Dendrobiums just don't like my growing conditions and my care routine.
perhaps when they become more widely available, you can test grow one

I haven't seen it here but it's very nice.
I thought perhaps the closimity to South-East Asia , Australians will be able to import plants earlier.
It seems that the European countries always get plants ahead of other continents.

Last edited:
I thought perhaps the closimity to South-East Asia , Australians will be able to import plants earlier.
It seems that the European countries always get plants ahead of other continents.
Import!!?? That's very funny! You need to climb a mountain of red tape straight after you part with a mountain of money and then probably end up with mountain of dead sticks.

Because my father passed away the same year that I pollinated the plant, I gave the plant the clone name after my father's.
Here is the link to Troy Meyer's if you also collect and grow dendrobiums
https://lab.troymeyers.com/flasking/cultivar.php?id=MC7616
Here is a blog about the species.
https://travaldo.blogspot.com/2018/02/dendrobium-ochraceum-care-and-culture.html
I have not seen any one else posting about this white version except this blogger. Perhaps the white flower plant is even harder to find. Whoever has such a unicorn, should pollinate it right away .
Love the tribute to your father. What a beauty. I would love to grow one, so if anybody parts with flasklings....

This is dendrobium Ochraceum , an endemic vietnamese species, while recently, one can find them in Europe, it rarely seen in any US collection, may be not even in any collection , in fact I was asking every sellers, every growers at every shows ,and orchid nurseries for it for a long time, perhaps more than 10 years .
Finally, I was able to beg for the plant . I am so grateful to have the chance to buy it.
I pollinated it right away and donate the pod to Meyer Conservatory , in hope that if the pollination is successful, the plants of this species can be shared and cultivated among many growers, thus keep the species alive and available for US growers.
This dendrobium also has another bonus, that it has a delicate fragrance
There is some great new, the pod was viable and producing plantlets.
Currently Troy Meyer is taking reservation order.

View attachment 16429
Perseverance always pays off in the end... that is a beautiful flower.

since I just received a note from Troy that my flask is ready to be sent,
I wonder if anyone who reserved a flask also receiving the notice that your flask is available ?

Latest posts

Back