Dendrobium moniliforme 'Benikida' & 'Benikomachi'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My questions is if you keep them warm year around to appreciate nice leaves, would they flower in the spring, or is flowering sort of a sacrifice since leaves are the main focus for such practice??

I don't have enough experience to know the answer, hp7. But some of Japanese people are more focused on leaves. For examples, in Neo, they remove the flower spikes, so they don't waste energy for flowers.

A stunning flower I like the way your growing and posted it but I'm not a fan of the variegated leafs I feel its a bit strange but thats me personally.

I also wasn't so interested in variegation, neither. I used to think that they were unnatural (well, they are basically genetic disease, like albinism). But after I started to grow a couple of them, I can see why it is fun to grow them. Basically, we can observe the changes, and in some cases, how you grow them can influence the expression. So every leaf expansion, or new cane, you have some excitement.

I don't have enough experience to know the answer, hp7. But some of Japanese people are more focused on leaves. For examples, in Neo, they remove the flower spikes, so they don't waste energy for flowers.

I also wasn't so interested in variegation, neither. I used to think that they were unnatural (well, they are basically genetic disease, like albinism). But after I started to grow a couple of them, I can see why it is fun to grow them. Basically, we can observe the changes, and in some cases, how you grow them can influence the expression. So every leaf expansion, or new cane, you have some excitement.

When I buy them, they have leaves on all the canes, old and new.
They tend to quickly lose them under my care. lol

When I buy them, they have leaves on all the canes, old and new.

They tend to quickly lose them under my care. lol

My experience too! So I have decided to enjoy everyone else's success and not try to grow these plants.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mines do that too. I've wondered that they may drop leaves more for the first year due to the change in the environment.

They do seem to be quite sensitive to overwatering, and I lost quite a few with sphagnum mound without empty space inside. Especially, some of those highly variegated ones are easy to kill. Flower varieties (and more "Classic" ones like Benikida) seem to be tougher.

I've been growing them, with some success, either mounted or in baskets with a bit of coconut fiber wrapped around their roots.

Latest posts

Back