Dendrobium Microchip

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrhappyrotter

Grand Chupacabra
Reaction score
Dendrobium normanbyense x aberrans

Finally, a group of Dendrobiums that LOVE my growing conditions!!! Latouria for the win. This is a small growing hybrid that loves moisture and tolerates shadier conditions -- a perfect companion for slipper orchids.

This has been sitting down in a clay pot with a saucer that I keep water in constantly. The plastic pot that the plant is growing in does not sit in water, however. The clay pot has developed a nice healthy layer of moss on the inside and out, and this plant has grown its roots down into said moss. Very pretty display.

It's a faithful bloomer, sending out flowers in the late fall or early winter each year, then a second flush in summer. The flowers are very long lasting, 4 - 6 months, sometimes more is pretty typical.

The flowers are nicely scented during the day time. It's another unusual fragrance. Sweet and nice. This is going to sound strange, but the scent is reminscent of the smell of a bird nest with freshly hatched eggs. It's a scent that's prevalent in the spring around here, sort of sickly sweet but not at all disgusting like it probably sounds.

Anyway, this hybrid is highly recommended, especially for beginners to orchids and those that have trouble with Dendrobiums (like me). It's very forgiving.

0UcqA9tl.jpg

IpNEtJ4l.jpg

Neat cross, and really, the flowers last up to 6 months!? Incredible.

To clarify, I'm not sure that individual flowers last that long, but they do last somewhere in the range of 2 - 4 months, depending on a lot of variables.

Because the spikes initiate over a range of time, the buds don't all develop at the same rate, and the flowers don't open all at the same time, it stretches the time frame that the plant is in flower. Typically this starts flowering in December or January and will remain in bloom until May or June unless I screw something up (like it gets to dry while I'm away on a trip). Granted, towards the end, there may only be 1 or 2 spikes in bloom with just a few flowers.

Latest posts

Back