Dendrobium loddigesii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the 9 years I lived in Florida, Fort Myers, this species thrived in the heat! Bloomed profusely. It grew well in temperatures between 65- 85. I had to water it almost every day in the heat and much less often in the cooler weather.
I grew it mostly in baskets. I never had two to three weeks of cool weather, below 60 at night. Maybe 6 to 8 nights total between December and February. When cooler, I noticed much slower growth.

Another species that loved that kind of weather was Maxillaria tenuifolia. I grew those mounted and they bloomed 2-3x a year and grew like weeds!!!

This is an oldie but goody for me....was one of the very first orchids I had in my hands. I like it a lot 👍

Last edited:
In the 9 years I lived in Florida, Fort Myers, this species thrived in the heat! Bloomed profusely. It grew well in temperatures between 65- 85. I had to water it almost every day in the heat and much less often in the cooler weather.
I grew it mostly in baskets. I never had two to three weeks of cool weather, below 60 at night. Maybe 6 to 8 nights total between December and February. When cooler, I noticed much slower growth.

Another species that loved that kind of weather was Maxillaria tenuifolia. I grew those mounted and they bloomed 2-3x a year and grew like weeds!!!
Your experience mirrored mine when I lived in Gainesville for nearly 20 years (and that ended 20 years ago!) I got a modest division mounted on a small treefern "pole" and it grew like a weed. Then I got one of those big tree fern pots that were common in the day, inverted it, drilled a hanger into it and mounted the plant on top. It grew even bigger and soon I had a head sized clump that was a sight to see in flower. Then I moved to Japan and sold my entire collection.

For some strange reason, I never grew M. tenuifolia - just never got around to it.

Latest posts

Back