Dendrobium kingianum - other winter flowers

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shakkai

Reaction score
Here are some photos of the other plants currently in bloom (and filling the house with fragrance!)...

My favourite, although a NOID, smells like vanilla!

The first one to start flowering this year is this one with 25 spikes, each with at least 6-7 flowers. Very sweet smelling and could perfume an entire room all on its own.

These two are siblings from a cross made my Woolf Orchidculture in Australia. The cross is Dendrobium (Ellewong x Zip) x (Gillian Leaney x Tweed)

The first one looks like a Dendrobium speciosum to me. Very nice! I have several of them. :)

Yes, there is definitely speciosum in there, but I believe its a hybrid of some sort. Its a great plant in all ways, so its a shame its an unknown. It is growing into a nice specimen and will be fabulous in another couple of years.

Oh man, if I had any space at all I would be begging for a keiki of the first one :D

It is definitely my favourite one! I'd be happy to send you a piece of it in the spring when I repot. It really only takes up space in the winter (when you want it to be inside anyway so you can enjoy the blooms). All of these spent the summer outside being ignored for the most part. I guess it was a good thing that we had so much rain this summer!

The flower markings are quite striking, I think. I have two other crosses from Australia. Hopefully, they will flower after their cool dry rest period and I'll see what they are like in February/March next year.

I was actually a bit surprised this year when I brought the plants back in from outside. Half of them were already starting to spike. I guess they really enjoyed the outdoors!

I'm glad everyone seems to like my favourite!

Thanks for looking!

Latest posts

Back