Dendrobium fimbriatum var. oculatum 'Jean' HCC/AOS, CCM/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo Schordje

wilted blossom
Reaction score
Traveled to St Louis area to a family gathering for Easter weekend. Just for fun I brought a Paph and this Dendrobium along, because I knew there was an AOS judging session at the MOBot (Missouri Botanical Garden). The Paph didn't get scored, I bruised the flower in transit. But the Dendrobium made up for it.

Dendrobium fimbriatum var oculatum 'Jean' HCC/AOS 78 points, CCM/AOS 83 points. There are 287 flowers, 52 buds on 46 inflorescences, on a plant that is roughly 18 inches tall by 3 feet across. A real bodacious bloomer. The rich color, good form, and profusion of blooms were the traits that garnered the HCC, the merely average size of the flowers is what precluded a higher score on flower quality. As for the CCM, the plant is in the middle of the pack for flower count and size. Which the judges thought was great because most of the larger CCM plants were grown in mild climates where it could be grown outdoors most of the year.

Strong but pleasant fragrance in the afternoon, especially when the plant is in the sun.

Den-fimbriatum-April2010a.jpg

Den-fimbriatum-April2010b.jpg

Den-fimbriatum-April2010c.jpg

The credit for the CCM on the award paperwork is listed as Tom Heller, I have been boarding this plant for the last 18 months at his greenhouse due to space issues I was having at home. So even though I own the plant, Tom's name is on the CCM, because he was the one watering & fertilizing it.

I will try to get better photos when I get back home. A big Thank You to the St Louis Judging Center.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back