Dendrobium falcorostrum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emydura

Reaction score
The most beautiful of the Australian Dendrobiums I believe. Pristine white flowers with great shape. Incredibly perfumed as well. Probably the strongest of the genus in Australia. Commonly known as the Beech Orchid as it predominantly grows on Beech trees.

Dendrobium%20falcorostrum%202%20slippertalk.jpg

Dendrobium%20falcorostrum%20slippertalk.jpg

Why beech trees?

I have read the fungus that this species requires to germinate is generally restricted to Beech trees. You may see the odd falcorostrum growing on rocks or fern trees etc., but they often have fallen out of Beech trees. This species is restricted to Beech forests in northern NSW and southern Queensland. It has a very limited range and the Beech forests tend to be very isolated from one another. But where falcorostrums are found, they are extremely abundant.

Just some additional information. When Beech trees are referred to, they are from the order Nothofagaceae, the southern beeches. Only distantly related to northern hemisphere beech. One of mine in flower and the second photo of a hybrid off spring

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1633515816721.jpg
    FB_IMG_1633515816721.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 3
  • FB_IMG_1633515831529.jpg
    FB_IMG_1633515831529.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 3
I have read the fungus that this species requires to germinate is generally restricted to Beech trees. You may see the odd falcorostrum growing on rocks or fern trees etc., but they often have fallen out of Beech trees. This species is restricted to Beech forests in northern NSW and southern Queensland. It has a very limited range and the Beech forests tend to be very isolated from one another. But where falcorostrums are found, they are extremely abundant.

Thanks for the explanation! I was wondering if it was related to something else (light related to deciduous leaves, no koala bears).

Latest posts

Back