Dendrobium cuthbersonii Season!!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They seem to know it’s Spring into Summer, and started budding like crazy in my Winerium (my new term for a converted wine fridge to grow cool minis, days 23C, nights 13C).

I’m not complaining in the least as I know I have flowers till Fall. Maybe even Winter (unless I force a rest by cutting flowers out sooner).

Enjoy the visual feast! I know I am ☺.

View attachment 20514 View attachment 20512 View attachment 20513 View attachment 20510
Absolutely incredible. Every time.

Thanks all for wonderful comments.

All but the bicolor orange on right side are cuths. That bicolor is Swiss Montain Palace from Popow.

The winerium uses a reptile hygrometer to control the temperature, LED for lights and a water proof mini 12 cm fan, on timers. All wiring are pushed through the little hole at the back. Tank is sprayed once or twice with RO water a day. When I have time I’ll do a setup section.

Following. Seems like this would be helpful for Phragmipedium besseae too, and my quest to winter goeringii successfully. I see wine fridges in my alley at least one a month.

Following. Seems like this would be helpful for Phragmipedium besseae too, and my quest to winter goeringii successfully. I see wine fridges in my alley at least one a month.
If they work, you might be able to fix and revamp them to each specific genera. Like one tank for goeringiis and one for besseae.

Leslie, what a fireworks of colours your cuthbersoniis are. Great!! I'm wondering, are there any orchids you don't grow succsessfully?
Thanks Guru for your nice comments.

Unfortunately there are many orchids that perished under my care. Even when other plants next to them are thriving.

One particularly species I’ve been trying a lot with is the Dendrobium falconeri. It has not been successful so far as I think it needs a cold dry greenhouse. In fact I love all the lantern style Dendrobiums but they do not like my current conditions. It’s a future project.

Leslie, Dendrobiums are a wide playground and a lot of them like exteme conditions because the are monsoon bound in the nature also your lantern style ones and D. falconeri. I have a mate in our local orchid group who is Dendobrium enthusiast and shows regularly his beauties but many of them look like (sorry for the term) 'withered shrubs' with nice flowers, due to their origin from monsoon affectected areas. So your future project will become a great challenge far away from other growing conditions i.e. Paphs. Good luck! 👍

Last edited:
Leslie, Dendrobiums are a wide playground and a lot of them like exteme conditions because the are monsun bound in the nature also your lantern style ones and D. falconeri. I have a mate in our local orchid group who is Dendobrium enthusiast and shows regularly his beauties but many of them look like (sorry for the term) 'withered shrubs' with nice flowers, due to theire origin from monsun affectected areas. So you future project will become a great challenge far away from other growing conditions i.e. Paphs. Good luck! 👍
Thanks for the educational advice. The withered look is due to the dryness they have to endure in the cold to set blooms. They plump up after flowering in the spring grow season. That is their nature lol.

And I do need all the luck to grow and bloom these in the future!

Latest posts

Back