Dend unicum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron-NY

Reaction score
I will only post a close-up that is turned upside down. This species is from Northern Thailand, Laos and Vietnam, where it is found growing on rock and bushes. It is watered less in winter but not totally rested. It has a light fragrance of tangerines. It is cork mounted. Shaded in summer but bright light in winter.
Dendunicum.jpg

I really like this species , though I find it a bit hard to grow. Mine has just finished bloomning now and is sending out new growths. Ron I was wondering, have you noticed any major root loss on your plant during the rest period ?

Sangii said:
I really like this species , though I find it a bit hard to grow. Mine has just finished bloomning now and is sending out new growths. Ron I was wondering, have you noticed any major root loss on your plant during the rest period ?

I have not seen any root loss. I don't give it a total rest. I water 2X per week in the winter. It is cork mounted. How long do you rest yours for? From the weather info from it's growing locale, I felt a total wasn't appropriate. That may be the reason for the root loss.

Ron-NY said:
How long do you rest yours for?

way to long I think ! :poke: the thing is I tend to forget watering or even spraying all the mounted plants that are at the back of the greenhouse in winter, because it's such a mess to get there with all the plants I have to place everywhere to make everything fit ! This might indeed be the reason for root loss.

The root loss scared me to death the first year I had it, but it actually does not seem to be such a problem as the plant is putting out new growths every spring and growing new roots...

Latest posts

Back