Dend moniliforme 'Sankanou'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

L I Jane

One of the Japanese breeding moniliformes with different flowers & varigated leaves.This is its first blooming. Supposedly rare with the red center.It's not snowy white like the regular moniliformes.

DSC02602.jpg

What's in a name?

Cool that you can get these in the states Jane. It is not rare here in Japan, but not common either, and still a little pricey. Like many plants sold under a Japanese name (in this case sekkoku or chouseiran) it is in fact not a pure species form, but a hybrid. In this case a cross between Dendrobium Ise (D. moniliforme x D. stricklandianum)and a yellow flowered form of D. moniliforme (kibana-no-sekkoku). Naming in Japan can be maddening if you don't know what goes into a plant, and sometimes this is held as secret. In this case 三冠王 (sankanou)means "Triple Crown", but unless you know, it is simply another form of D. moniliforme (sekkoku).

Regardless, it is lovely little plant and fairly cold hardy.

Thanks Tom-my head is reeling from that info. LOL.I bought it when it had 3 teeny canes with one new one starting & it was PRICEY. It now has 4 canes-(that one in bloom) & another one forming-making 5.

Latest posts

Back