Den sulphureum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are doing very well with your PNG Dendrobium. I really enjoy your collection.

Very nice!!! Any cultivation tips? I've found this species harder to grow than cuthbies

I don't know what I can tell you besides this..
I've only had it for 4 years. Initially it was on a small piece of oak. It did ok but the bark began to peel off so I transferred it in to this mesh pot. From the in situ pics I've seen it seems to grow on small branches in pretty exposed positions, so I presume it likes to dry out regularly, probably every day to be re-moistened by fog/ mist etc. during the afternoon and night. Therefore, because of the mass of material in the pot, it does not dry at the roots in one day so I wait until it does before dipping the whole thing in rainwater. I have it where the light is bright for half a day or so and it is in the path of a fan - about 3 metres away. I mist every day but don't water until it is dry at the roots. Min temp is about 15C Feeding is very light but regular. I don't think it is as good as it could be because I notice the bulbs are very slightly shrivelled which means it probably lost some roots when I moved it. Hopefully it will recover properly. It's potted into some very old consumed coco chips, (never fresh ones!) a little bark and charcoal and I think I put polystyrene to help control the drying speed and perlite in there as well. Topped with live moss.
That is everything I can tell you. The rest is up to the plant :rollhappy:

I don't know what I can tell you besides this..
I've only had it for 4 years. Initially it was on a small piece of oak. It did ok but the bark began to peel off so I transferred it in to this mesh pot. From the in situ pics I've seen it seems to grow on small branches in pretty exposed positions, so I presume it likes to dry out regularly, probably every day to be re-moistened by fog/ mist etc. during the afternoon and night. Therefore, because of the mass of material in the pot, it does not dry at the roots in one day so I wait until it does before dipping the whole thing in rainwater. I have it where the light is bright for half a day or so and it is in the path of a fan - about 3 metres away. I mist every day but don't water until it is dry at the roots. Min temp is about 15C Feeding is very light but regular. I don't think it is as good as it could be because I notice the bulbs are very slightly shrivelled which means it probably lost some roots when I moved it. Hopefully it will recover properly. It's potted into some very old consumed coco chips, (never fresh ones!) a little bark and charcoal and I think I put polystyrene to help control the drying speed and perlite in there as well. Topped with live moss.
That is everything I can tell you. The rest is up to the plant :rollhappy:

Thank you!!!!

Latest posts

Back