Den. monoliforme

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TADD

Rootless Wonder
Reaction score
Here is my little dendrobium. I was given this division back last year, it spent the winter in my mud room with my neos not getting watered and temps hovering around the 40-50 range all winter. It has 9 flowers and a real bizach to photos....
den1.jpg

Are the leaves variegated? I really like variegated leaves. And white flowers.

Looks cool. I haven't built up the courage to try one yet. I'm pretty sure it they would hate me.:eek:

These are my latest passion. For the space-challenged, esp., they offer a lot -
- small, w/ most 6"-8" high (some stay around 2")
- growth is vertical
- deciduous, so in winter, they look like bonsai - delightful for the minimalist in me
- blooming season is several weeks long so far, judging from my first one
- different colors of flowers - from greenish white to cream, yellow, lavender, purple, light pink, hot pink, cherry red
- some variation in flower size and shape
- all flowers are fragrant - some very
- loads of variety in size, shape, coloration of leaves, w/ some having pink, white, and green stripes; others white and green stripes; others green and yellow variegation (sp?). Some collectors grow them for the leaves.
- most are at the less-expensive end of orchid prices

Where have they been all my life?

As for care, I'm brand new, but one of the long-time commercial growers provided a watering schedule from the Japanese:

1. No fertilizer, ever
2. Water quality - Just be sure the plants get minerals and trace elements. Because my tap water is unfit for living things, he advised 10% tap water and the rest RO for every watering. I'll leach w/ tap water once a month, followed by the 90%-10% mix.
3. Nov. through Feb., make sure the sphag is “crispy dry” before watering.
4. From March through May, the sphag should be “barely damp” before watering. Same for August - October.
5. June & July – the sphag can be “soaking wet” all the time.

As for other conditions, he said my indoor orchid room will be fine:

- winter temp range of high 50s/low 60s to 75-80 degrees F
- inside: E/SE light, supplemented by T8s
- air movement
- winter humidity range from high 20% to mid-50%

Summers outside in whatever the St. Paul/Minneapolis weather provides

Hmmm - one unknown is day length. Anyone know if they need short days in winter? My T8s run 14-16 hours/day, but the plants could go to a spot w/ natural day lengths.

Another long-time commercial grower said the plants can bloom 2-3 times a year. That would make them just about perfect for me.

Other thoughts and experiences?

very nice!
Those are great growing tips, but I think it just confirms for me that I can't grow them here - not enough cool in the winter :(

Ki, I left mine outside in my (unheated)mudroom down here in Charlotte. It was plenty cool enough. Didn't need any water all winter. It bloomed it's face off. Now on the other hand, my boss has another one of these, and it was in his greenhouse, no cooling, no water rest etc... And it bloomed with only two flowers. He has another realy nice one from NWO, that also only bloomed a little bit.... I bet if I get a hold of it it next year ..... Whew!!!

TADD said:
(unheated)mudroom

what is a mudroom?

Yeah, growing under lights in a highrise comes with challenges. I get no sun in the windows during the winter, so everything goes under the lights, and my neighbors like heat. No night drop also screws things up. I still keep some plants on the windowsill, like the sarco - next winter I plan on setting it up so some of the paphs can get their chill.

Or maybe I'll get my act together and move!

A mudroom is a room used for changing out of your outdoor gear into house gear. Shoes, muddy work clothes, it has a big utility sink, and our washer and dryer. It is just an unheated porch with walls windows and a ceiling.

MoreWater said:
what is a mudroom?
heheheheh:evil:
MoreWater said:
.. and my neighbors like heat. No night drop also screws things up. I still keep some plants on the windowsill, like the sarco - next winter I plan on setting it up so some of the paphs can get their chill.

Or maybe I'll get my act together and move!
Why move if you've got an otherwise good spot? I deal w/ the winter cool down by cracking one window; When it get too hot open the window for 5 minutes. Or, of course, just move.

Latest posts

Back