Den. leonis and Den. prostratum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardy

Reaction score
Two very similar dendrobiums...

I think Den. leonis is one of the best-scented orchids out there. It's very heady vanilla. Well, when a fragrant orchid is described as smelling like vanilla (Onc. Sharry Baby, Onc. Twinkle, Neo. falcata etc.), it is usually a mixture with other scents. Not so with Den. leonis. It smells pure vanilla, absolutely edible and yummy, just like vanilla ice cream! :)

Dendrobiumleonis.jpg

Den. prostratum is like a miniature version of Den. leonis, almost identical except for size. Here it is flowering in the orchid greenhouse at school:

IMG_1983.jpg

IMG_1980.jpg

With my pinky... It is a tiny flower!

IMG_1978.jpg

Den. prostratum is supposedly vanilla-scented too, but to me it smells more like Onc. Twinkle/Onc. Sharry Baby than Den. leonis. And because it's so tiny, I have to sniff hard to smell it.

Thanks for sharing. another one for the wishlist! :p It's funny but I think Onc. Sharry Baby smells like chocolate; not as much as chiloschista viridiflora but still more chocolate than vanilla.

Thanks for sharing. another one for the wishlist! :p It's funny but I think Onc. Sharry Baby smells like chocolate; not as much as chiloschista viridiflora but still more chocolate than vanilla.

Wow! Is the chiloschista really chocolate-scented?? I planted chocolate cosmos last season, and the chocolate smell really bowled me over!

yay! I love leonis too.. I find it NOT the easiest dend to grow under my conditions, due to its pretty fine roots, like tolumnia...

Yes, the fine roots, and another thing, the stem base near the roots is soo thin, which kinda makes it the weakest link...

Bump... So I was lucky to have both Den. leonis and Den. prostratum flowering at the same time. Here they are for comparison:

IMG_2400.jpg

IMG_2411.jpg

IMG_2413.jpg

IMG_2422.jpg

I made the cross Den. leonis X prostratum, but unfortunately it didn't take. I'll try again next time.

Latest posts

Back