delenati for beginners

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegruppy

Reaction score
hello everyone and sorry for my bad english. I have been cultivating paphio for some time, let's say I started with maudiae and I get along well with them. I have now bought other plants, including a delenati. I know the cultivation should be a little different, can anyone give me some advice? Thank you!

are there no differences regarding the calcium administration or the type of substrate?

I would say that there may be ways to optimize for either, but not necessary. I also grow delenatii quite well in exactly the same conditions as maudiae type.

Most delenatii you can buy now have been selected for several generations of vigor. They are one of the easiest species to grow now. 30 years ago they were tricky...

I supplement all paphs with extra oyster shell.

When you compare the temperature range in the habitat of delenatii and some of the building block species of Maudiea type hybrids, they are basically the same. That alone says a lot in my opinion as to why they are easy to grow and bloom under similar/same conditions.

are there no differences regarding the calcium administration or the type of substrate?
I even grow other parvis basically the same way and they grow quite well. could be better with fine tuning with proper temperature range but I don't have that capacity at home. All must live with it or go 😆

Not true. That was an old data for the population found way further south in Vietnam than the ones that were rediscovered in the 1990s and since. Mr.Canh shared some photos he took of delenatii growing right on the limestone rock surface.

Calcium is necessary for all plants. With that said, I do not add any extra calcium to any of my paphs whether in the form of oyster shell, chicken grit or horiticultural limestone. I believe most of this was due to misunderstanding. Limestones don't melt away in any measurable amount in the short period of time. Plus, at their root, there are lots of debris of organic and inorganic materials.
Plant roots may also secrete substances to maintain favorable pH level around their root zone for ideal nutrient uptake.
As long as calcium is provided either via water or fertilizing, I just don't see why it is necessary to add extra.

Not true. That was an old data for the population found way further south in Vietnam than the ones that were rediscovered in the 1990s and since. Mr.Canh shared some photos he took of delenatii growing right on the limestone rock surface.

Calcium is necessary for all plants. With that said, I do not add any extra calcium to any of my paphs whether in the form of oyster shell, chicken grit or horiticultural limestone. I believe most of this was due to misunderstanding. Limestones don't melt away in any measurable amount in the short period of time. Plus, at their root, there are lots of debris of organic and inorganic materials.
Plant roots may also secrete substances to maintain favorable pH level around their root zone for ideal nutrient uptake.
As long as calcium is provided either via water or fertilizing, I just don't see why it is necessary to add extra.
All plants need calcium, that's correct. And it is not necessary to add any extra calcium, I think we agree there as well.

I have also seen the pictures by Mr Canh from 2017. We discussed them in our local orchid society and our understanding was that those cliffs were granite. They definitely looked like granite to me. But maybe I'm wrong. If so, I'm far from the only one.

All plants need calcium, that's correct. And it is not necessary to add any extra calcium, I think we agree there as well.

I have also seen the pictures by Mr Canh from 2017. We discussed them in our local orchid society and our understanding was that those cliffs were granite. They definitely looked like granite to me. But maybe I'm wrong. If so, I'm far from the only one.
Just to refresh my memory and double check on the info, I just revisited the 2017 post by Mr.Canh. He doesn't mention what kind of rock specifically unless I missed it. Still having my coffee. lol
The surface looks grany and rough suggesting it might indeed be granite rather than limestone that erodes away leaving rather smooth surface.
The species is also widely distributed in Southwestern part of China and the habitat report says it is found in the limestone area.
This is not to say the plants live on the limestone or the area is void of any granite, so this still is not very clear any relationship between delenatii and the type of rock they are typically found growing on.
The Vietnamese report says they are found growing on granite cliff area with photos showing the plants.

Latest posts

Back