delanatii rest in S/H

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DukeBoxer

Reaction score
I grow all of my paphs, and some other things, in s/h and was wondering this...I know Ray says plants that need a decided rest period when grown in more traditional mixes don't need that same water rest in s/h, say Dendrobium nobile types. I have a delanatii growing in s/h and I know that to get them to bloom you need to rest them in the winter by withholding water and dropping the temperature. Is this true when you grow the plant in s/h or can you just maybe withhold the fertilizer and water normally?

-Josh

I have a delanatii growing in s/h and I know that to get them to bloom you need to rest them in the winter by withholding water and dropping the temperature.
I've never heard that about delenatii. Even for micranthum/armeniacum, I won't withhold water. Sure, maybe a bit less moist, but I won't let them dry out completely.

Sorry, I've never heard that about delenatii either. Where did you get the info.? I don't withold water from any plants in s/h. Defeats the purpose.

Ray is right on with that..... they go straight to the after life, no rest needed.

Sorry guys, I may have mis worded that, I meant holding back water, as in not watering them as much. I actually read that in The Paphiopedilum Growers Manual. Has anyone read that and what do they think of the book?

I think you'll find you don't water as much in the Winter anyway, regardless of what medium you use.

I bought my first delenatii from Matt Gore several months ago and it's doing fine in s/h. I don't plan on treating it any differently than my other paphs. The only thing I'm doing differently with it, is not adding any lime or oyster shell as they like it more acidic. I've got tons of delenatii hybrids that I've had for years in s/h and also haven't treated them any differently.

But, like I said above, I think we naturally water less in the winter due to the plants not needing it and us not feeling like it! So, it should get less water just due to happenstance.

Sorry guys, I may have mis worded that, I meant holding back water, as in not watering them as much. I actually read that in The Paphiopedilum Growers Manual. Has anyone read that and what do they think of the book?

No, I just have a thing against s/h and its "creator," sorry.

Maybe Mr. Birk can address those issues in his next book.....

too far again, Candace??

Although I have read that delanatii needs a rest, and bright light, and live sphagnum, etc....I have found that mature delanatii's bloom easily, on their own time, regardless of stage of growth. Some clones bloom in summer, others in spring, others in fall/winter. While they like bright light, it doesn't have to be as bright as the multifloral, roth and phil type paphs. What they all need is a more phrag type mix, bark based and heavy on NZ sphagnum...lots of water, although not as wet as a phrag. Take care, Eric

Latest posts

Back