deflasked Paph Adductum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denver

Reaction score
here are some pictures of the adductum flasks I potted a few days ago. I am keeping them warm and humid and shady. But I am not sure how much light to give them at this point. I built a chamber to keep them in and will be using one of Ray's LEDs so I can adjust the distance between the light and the plants to give hopefully close to optimal conditions. Any advice appreciated but especially quantifiable advice--ie footcandles.

RH9SKFsl.jpg

nua22GTl.jpg

dPesNqNl.jpg

sgVZBbBl.jpg

dvRyE0nl.jpg

vEGXRtDl.jpg

XDc7jMll.jpg

yGnnXO5l.jpg

You hit the nail on the head about your conditions I keep mine in the same, I don't know how many footcandles, I use natural light, a little brighter in the morning, nice haul, thats one flask?

From where did you get them? This could well prove to be a challenge, slow growing. But then, there are always plants in a flask that stands out with faster growt. I have been looking for such a flask for ages. Good Luck with them!

With LED's it's very hard to get a foot-candle reading. I'd say if the bulb is about 3' above it'd be just fine. Then gradually move it closer. Let the leaves be your guide. Good looking flask, I hope you do have some fast growers in there!

Are they from Chuck Acker? I am growing out one of his adductum flasks that I got in January and they are super strong, nicely growing little plants. Yours look just like mine.

These should get lower light like a Phal and plenty of water and air circulation. low fertilizer for the firat year as well. I didn't lose any from deflasking but did kill a few accidentally this summer with too strong fert concetration.

Very nice. This is one of my favourite multifloral along with Paph. anitum. I think I have 10+ of this species. They are a difficult from flask.

There are two types of adductum actually. The old brown coloured one and the red adductum. The red adductum is a much more newer discovery.

Are they from Chuck Acker? I am growing out one of his adductum flasks that I got in January and they are super strong, nicely growing little plants. Yours look just like mine.

These should get lower light like a Phal and plenty of water and air circulation. low fertilizer for the firat year as well. I didn't lose any from deflasking but did kill a few accidentally this summer with too strong fert concetration.

yes, these are from Chuck Acker. Is my memory correct that you have a lower humidity than a lot of people think is necessary? I grow inside and the reason I built a chamber was to get a higher humidity level than I can outside of the chamber. I did put some fans in there and am opening it up every couple of days to get fresh air in and then rehumidifying it. But I would love to hear more about your experiences with your flask since they are from the same source.

yes, these are from Chuck Acker. Is my memory correct that you have a lower humidity than a lot of people think is necessary? I grow inside and the reason I built a chamber was to get a higher humidity level than I can outside of the chamber. I did put some fans in there and am opening it up every couple of days to get fresh air in and then rehumidifying it. But I would love to hear more about your experiences with your flask since they are from the same source.

You need much more fresh airflow than that. They should have a constant source of fresh air. adductum has very tough plump leaves so they dont need such intense humidity out of flask.

I grow inside my house under lights. Relative humidity is about 60-70%% in the summer and 30% in the winter (i do run a humidifier for a few hours a day in the winter to get up to 50% for short periods). This will be our second year in the house and we will have to dehumidify in the basement so we'll see how the plant room upstairs does.

I have grown many many flasks in such conditions. I usually deflask into a couple compots then put each compot into a gallon freezer bag on its side with the bag mostly open. This creates a humidity tent with fresh air. i water a couple times per week maybe as needed then put them out into the open air after a few weeks. hope this helps!

Any updates on these little guys? I just deflasked some adductums and am curious to see what yours are doing!

David

Latest posts

Back