Deflasked Fritz Schomburgs, this will be a challenge

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Indeed. Looking very good. Very husky.
We really pay attention to roots rather than leaves when we deflask. We believe the roots are vastly more important.
Terry has also taught me to deflask early. The thought being that one never wants the plants to stall by outgrowing their nutrients.
Finally, this grex has been one of our best sellers this year. Hope to see the results in a few years too. We kept plenty also.

20150908_013334.png.jpeg

Here's a shot of the whole litter. The ones from the previous pics are on the bottom right. I admit that I had trouble with the bulk of the seedlings until recently. I started them all in sphagnum with some perlite, but only about 15% (I'm guessing the ones that inherited the besseae's medium preferences) ever did well. The rest sulked with stalled root tip after stalled root tip. Fed up with this, I repotted all the stragglers into a mix of 40% seedling grade Orchiata and 60% freshly-collected forest moss, which I scalded in 160° water for 5 minutes to kill off any gunk. The results were immediate. Within one week, every single sulking plant had thrown a new root, even the tiny runts. So, if you're having trouble with this cross, that's the medium I suggest you use.

Very happy looking seedlings. This cross looks to have good vigor especially with your growing medium and conditions.

Been about 7 months now & I'm starting to put the largest in individual pots.
They are about 3 months behind where the Jason Fischers were at this point, but they did get a rocky start, after all.
20151025_224244.jpg

They look absolutely beautiful!
When a flask is purchased, what kind of a survival rate (percentage?) can an experienced grower have?
Just curious.

Margit

Generally I have 100% survival out of flask and then see a very small percentage of runts (maybe 2-3 plants out of of 25) die over the 12 months. Some species are more difficult but generally flasks do very well for me...and apparently for other good growers like Tony :)

That is really great Justin.
Maybe I should start researching ...
;-)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back