Deflasked Fritz Schomburgs, this will be a challenge

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tony

Received my plants on Saturday and they had been shipped out of flask with the medium removed. They were a little on the small side, but all were quite healthy. There are about 30 seedlings.

Mike

Regarding the size, the largest is 3 cm and the smallest is 1 cm. The average is about 1.5 cm. Most have a single root about 1 cm long. For reference, these pots have an ID of about 9 cm.

I have potted out hundreds of flasks, and I really don't anticipate much trouble with these, but I suspect the size would be a problem for many. I don't keep statistics, but I would guess that these are in the lower 25 percentile, with respect to size, of the plants I have deflasked.

That said, they are healthy, it is an excellent cross and the price was right. I am quite satisfied with the purchase.

Mike

What I see as far as size is not the measure in cm. The plants have two strong leaves with a new leaf coming from the crown. The new new 3rd leaf emergence is when the plant begins to grow a real root system. So the timing/size is perfect for strong rapid growth. Because they are slightly physically smaller and have fewer roots there was basically no damage when they were deflasked.
That's why I said they are the perfect size in my experience.

20150319_133009.jpg
I got my replacement batch; these came in much better shape.

as long as they have roots, they should be fine...phrag hybrids are pretty tough..although next time I would encourage you to have them send out of flask next time..chuck acker sends me out of flask every time and they do just fine

Yes. That is what we do now. Briefly a new person was shipping them in flask but with the lid open and packing material to prevent jostling. I know some other flask sellers do it this way with good luck. In the case of these damaged ones, the were sent by the in-flask method.

To state the obvious, plants are perishable and something can always go wrong. It is a constant source of concern. Too cold, too hot, too rough, too long in transit....

But we are happy to work with customers. We understand that people are spending their hard earned money on our plants.

Ed, I may be wrong, but Orchid Zone sends them out of flask, bare root wrapped in a damp paper hand towel. He is most likely showing you them as they arrived.

:evil::evil::evil:
20150717_135320.jpg

The wee ones seem to be past the temper tantrum stage and into active growth now. Obviously, I have a lot more than these 8 lol

Latest posts

Back