death of a slipper (phrag)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O

orchidhobbyist

Hello from London area, SW Ontario. I'm new to collecting orchids, but seem to have good luck so far with the straglers given to me and some bought ones in the grocery store. I like to grow any orchid thats cool growing, from slippers to oncidium alliance and mini cyms. Had an unnamed slipper with short gassy leaves that bit the dust yesterday. No idea what i did wrong. had it for two years but it never thrived. Was light greenin color, seemed to give a new shoot occasionally, never flowered. Tried to grow it in east and west windows as wel as outside in summer, but to no avail. Repotting didnt help. Kept it moist but not over watered. Any ideas??

If it had grassy leaves, it might be pearcei or hirtzii -- these like quite a lot of water, but with very good drainage. Do you know whether the roots were healthy or not?

I agree the Himantopetalum like pearcei and ecuadorense are the species with grassy leaves
My pearcei did better sitting in water and with lose sphag moss. And my phrag ecua-bess also.
These species I read are also finicky with water quality.

Wow, hanks for all the replies, to answer a few of you, I use rainwater with a ph of about 6.00, try to be consistent with it, never dried it out and i fertilized with quarter strength 20-20-20 once a month or so. As far as I could see the roots were healthy, brown and hairy (but im new at this so who knows). The thing had a name to, was called Peter Pan. That means anything to anybody? There is still a small new growth, how should i handle that, if theres any hope left? No other parts of the (small) plant have surived

orchidhobbyist said:
i fertilized with quarter strength 20-20-20 once a month or so. As far as I could see the roots were healthy, brown and hairy (but im new at this so who knows).

Quarter strength fertilizer once a month or so is just enough to starve the plant to slowly death. Try fertilizing more often and with a stronger solution.

gonewild said:
Quarter strength fertilizer once a month or so is just enough to starve the plant to slowly death. Try fertilizing more often and with a stronger solution.

Not to mention Peter Pan is (Sorcerer's Apprentice x caricinum) and I don't know about anybody else but my Sorcerer's Apprentice seems to love to be fed more then my other plants.

orchidhobbyist said:
There is still a small new growth, how should i handle that, if theres any hope left? No other parts of the (small) plant have surived
Keep watering it. Maybe the old growths didn't adapt to your conditions. But there's a good change the new growth will. Be patient -- it will probably take a long time for that small new growth to get big.

I cant thank all of you enough, never thought of undefertilizing, i'll just plod on with the small growth on it, have it wrapped in spagnum in a cokebottle cut inh alf witht he top put back on and its in the window sill. If i have anything then its patience, so we'll give it some time. I do not have a greenhouse but it doesnt seem to deter my other orchids (which are currently hanging in my cherry tree over that extends sowhat over my pond.

Latest posts

Back