De-compoting time for these Paph seedlings???

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Orchid Boy

Reaction score
I think it's time these little Paph liemianum seedlings each had their own home. What do you guys think? At first I thought I'd wait until late February/early March which would be a year from when I got them, but now I'm thinking I could do it sooner and just wanted to make sure. The cross is 'Birchwood' x self from Tom just in case anyone was wondering.

d2701653729cf3c7e9a713bb78304973_zps0ef19beb.jpg

Personally, I'd wait until it gets a little warmer. I'd probable put a few of the smallest ones together in a 2 inch pot and the largest ones pot up separately. I'm sorry if that's not what you want to hear, but that's just one persons humble option.

I think the largest ones will benefit immediately from more room and fresh media (even after less than a year), and I see no reason to wait. It will only get harder to separate them. The exception might be if you can't provide the warmth and light for optimal growth until spring. The smallest few could perhaps go back into compot with fresh media for a few more months.

My experience has been that the bigger seedlings do well in a compot, and even seem to do better than they would on their own. The smaller ones however seem to suffer due to the lack of space and being overshadowed by their larger siblings. I would move the bigger ones into their own pots and the smaller ones into a new compot. If you are able to heat and give adequate conditions, I see no reason to wait, if you have managed to grow the compot to its current stage through winter, then I see no reason why you would not be able to do so for the individual plants?

My experience has been that the bigger seedlings do well in a compot, and even seem to do better than they would on their own. The smaller ones however seem to suffer due to the lack of space and being overshadowed by their larger siblings. I would move the bigger ones into their own pots and the smaller ones into a new compot. If you are able to heat and give adequate conditions, I see no reason to wait, if you have managed to grow the compot to its current stage through winter, then I see no reason why you would not be able to do so for the individual plants?

I agree if you can give light and warmth its ok anytime and definitly re-compot the smaller ones. I've been doing that lately and its better than potting them individually.

I do grow under lights so my temperatures are not usually affected by the seasons. I've noticed what Trithor said to be true. The bigger ones are doing great but a few of the smaller ones have almost stopped growing

Nice looking compot! Personally, I'd wait until Mar/Apr before putting the larger ones into individual pots. The only exception would be if the sdlgs were suffering due to badly deteriorated mix.

The Orchid Boy

I also grow under lights and repot whenever I feel it is necessary. As long as you can achieve a 75-78F day and 65F night temperature then go for it.

Latest posts

Back