Darned false spider mites... *grumbles*

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mutant

Reaction score
Discovered that these guys had come back today. I had a smaller outbreak during summer, which I didn't take care of properly, and now it's come back to bite me in the...foot...

So, tomorrow it's off to buy some pesticide (works on spider mites as well, already checked) and this time I won't stop halfway through the treatment as I did last time.

Lesson learned. :mad:

I apologize to my orchids for being a sloppy owner...

Really? That works? Maybe I should try that instead. I don't like using pesticides if I don't have to.

If it doesn't, the good thing is the plants could care less. I think it does but I seldom have bug issues. The soap breaks down the exoskeleton as I understand. Perhaps Ray or Naoki can elaborate.

Mites (and other small insects) are able to breathe when submerged or covered in water because they are normally surrounded by a small pocket of air suitable for sustaining them while they're submerged. When soap is added to water, it breaks the surface tension and essentially eliminates the air pocket, causing the mites to smother.

Insecticidal soap will kill with the mites. It only kills the adults so you will need three treatments approximately 7/10 apart to deal with the hatching eggs.

After some internet browsing, I'm starting to wonder if it isn't spider mites I have, instead of false spider mites. I haven't noticed any webs, but I think the infestation isn't that serious yet. Oh, well. The insecticide I use, works on mites, so shouldn't be a problem in any case.

As far as I know, we don't have insecticidal soap here in Sweden. I did use a home made remedy when my hainanense had mealybugs, though, and it worked like a charm. I'm thinking maybe I could use this home made insecticide later as a preventative method, after I've gotten this outbreak under control.

The remedy was; soap (I didn't have any so I used Fairy instead) + water + alcohol (ethanol in this case), spray and pour through the pot (although I repotted mine as well as watered it with this solution later).

I went that way before ... Now I do use pesticide to kill each and every one of them.
Well, I went the easy way and bought insecticide; it's too cold to give my plants thorough baths right now, especially if I have to do it repeatedly.

No, but I have ordered the death of an organic cow (yum yum) which should buy me some methane credits that can be converted to CO2 credits.

Would the soap also work for the mealybugs? How long do I have to submerge them?
:rollhappy:

When the next freak storm breaks out here in Sweden, I'll know whom to blame. :wink:

No, but I have ordered the death of an organic cow (yum yum) which should buy me some methane credits that can be converted to CO2 credits.

Mmm, cow is good; you know some fools wanted to outlaw the existence of cows in our fair country because they created too much methane? I can see having to install catalytic converters or such on the backs of all livestock... Then again maybe it was just the introduction of the idea to yet create one more tax :/

Come to think of it it was probably ancestors of the people who got rid of all the buffalo here, who wanted to tax the cows; it was those buffalo who got all this global warming started and the hunters were just doing their globally correct duty to fix the environment :(

Not to get completely off topic, Hort oil probably works well for mites of all kinds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to look, but some time back I copied a recipe for an insecticide for spider mites that was non toxic to everything. I haven't tried it but would be interesting to know how it worked - I go look to see if I have it still......

Insecticidal soap should be just plain potassium-soap. (Low K, of course ...). It works.

I have to look, but some time back I copied a recipe for an insecticide for spider mites that was non toxic to everything. I haven't tried it but would be interesting to know how it worked - I go look to see if I have it still......
That would be great! Some of my orchids are not fond of this particular insecticide I'm using.

Insecticidal soap should be just plain potassium-soap. (Low K, of course ...). It works.
The problem is; what on earth could this be called in Swedish? I tried google on possible names, but came up empty handed.

Most insecticides are ineffective against mites and at best only suppress them as they are not insects but arachnids.
Insecticidal soaps and horticultural oils will eradicate them with several applications.

Ok, don't know if this will help, found this in notes of an orchid meeting some place at some time - might have been published in Orchids - that I've kept. Here is the recipe:

Red Spider Mites:
Mix equal parts buttermilk and water. Add few drops dishwasher soap. Blend for 15 seconds and spray plants.

Hope it helps!

The other recipe I have, maybe from someone here, for mites:

1 tablespoon liquid dish soap
1 tablespoon Wesson oil
32 oz water
combine, shake well and spray. Repeat in 7 -10 days.

i would use a lot smaller concentration of the dish soap but the vegetable oil will help smother them. be sure to get the undersides of the leaves and apply every 7 days.

Will alcohol help? It's really causing my paraphaleanopsis serpentilingua a lot of damage including an aborted spike and has significantly slowed down it's growth My local nursery does not currently have miticides and pesticides seem rather ineffective.

Latest posts

Back