Dang it, Enc. cochleatum is supposed to be easy!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swamprad

Memphis Orchid Society
Reaction score
I recently got an Encyclia cochleatum. You know, I've loved this orchid since I was a teenager and saw it growing on trees in south Florida. It's easy to grow, almost a weed, right? Well, my plant is blooming, and as each successive bloom tries to open, the sepals and petals are stuck together at their tips, and can't open. I try prying them open with a toothpick, which works fairly well, but the next bloom does the same thing. What is going on here?!?!?

Oooooo.....hmmm...are the blossoms nice and dry? No other textures on the petals like sticky surface? If they are dry, then maybe it is a mutation of the plant because it may not be happy? I have got an onc. that is blooming all funny because it did not get enough water with its previous owner. Where did you get your plant from?

Bluefirepegasus

Mark, I've had this happen sometimes on my cattleyas when my humidity drops or when they needed watering and didn't get it, so I agree with Jean. My cochleatum is in semi-hydro(of course) and it really sucks up the water.

Wow. Blooming a year non stop!! Isn't that a bit unusual?? :confused:

That's what I thought ! I placed it into semi hydro when I thought it was done blooming..cut the spikes etc., a month or so later here came a spike, and then another ...that was about a year ago ! It has bloomed non stop from the same 2 spikes all year ! One concern...I have not seen a new growth ..lots of root growth though.

Latest posts

Back