Damn!

• Thread starter Eric Muehlbauer
  • Start date
Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

Eric Muehlbauer

Well...not long ago I posted a note about how my philipinense had finally spiked after about 20 years or so..... As you can see, the title says it all. Arrrrgghhhhhhh!!!!!! I checked it today, and the spike...which had been growing super fast...was bent over. And it was all my fault! Turns out the window greenhouse hadn't been shut properly on one side...the window had been open just a crack...enough to kill the spike since the weather was in the 20's yesterday and the day before. The plant itself is fine...no plants are showing any damage, since it didn't get cold enough...just enough to kill the spike. Ok...what's another 20 years when I'm having fun? take care, Eric

It happens. Just like my Paph. tigrinum one spike blasted already!:sob:

Ramon:)

I agree with the consensus - dump the plant (I'll send you my address in a PM)

Look at it this way - at least you still have the plant and will likely see it bloom, now that it has apparently reached some level of maturity. Compare that to waking up to an unheated GH on a 7°F morning....

Look at it this way - at least you still have the plant and will likely see it bloom, now that it has apparently reached some level of maturity. Compare that to waking up to an unheated GH on a 7°F morning....
I know that feeling all to well - lost everything in the GH last year, first weekend in Feb, the coldest of the year!

That sucks big time! At least it will save up its energy and probably bloom like crazy next year. Not much consolation, I know. I've had the same experience with too much sun hitting a spike and frying it.

Oh man, Eric - that sucks!

But I think Ellen has a very good point about a stronger blooming next time around. Now that your Paph. philippinense has decided it CAN bud up in that location, it wouldn't be too surprising if the next growth to produce an inflorescence did so with an even stronger stem and better bud count - and probably a lot sooner than in 20 years. One grower in particular who displayed (and won MANY medals) at the 19th WOC in Miami deliberately cut ALL the buds off his paphs last year before they ever had a chance to bloom in anticipation of stronger flowering this season - and it worked BIG TIME. Let's all hope the results are similar for this paph's next effort.

Thanks for the support...but things are worse than I thought. The plant did freeze...just took a few days to show the damage...several growths were frozen, and my roebelinii and Saint Armel are also damaged. At the moment it doesn't look like any plants were killed outright, but they'll be pretty ugly for awhile....Take care, Eric

Oh _______!!!!! I can't say any more that hasn't been said already, I hate a slow death. :sob:

Welcome Scott! Wehave a newbie section - tell us about yourself there!

Welcome to the slippertalk to the one person who's Paph. Scott Ware is name after.:clap:

Ramon:)

Back